Can someone please help me understand my senior cat’s death

Isabelladianaxox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I’m new here. My 16 year old kitty passed away about a month ago and I am really struggling with it. I feel heartbroken, very depressed and don’t know when I will feel okay again. To make it even worse, I am obsessively trying to figure out why she died and I feel like I can’t be at peace unless I know.

Mid-february she started limping on a back leg, but it quickly improved and everything else seemed normal, she still ate and went to the bathroom etc. We were all convinced it was some kind of sprain. There was no swelling or anything else noticeable on her leg. Then 2 weeks later, one morning she didn’t come to the kitchen for breakfast like she usually does. I found her sitting on the couch in the basement and picked her up and brought her upstairs. That’s when I noticed she was unable to walk on her front left paw.
She had folded her paw inwards and was walking on her wrist.... by the time we brought her to the vet she couldn’t walk on any of her legs.

The vet did a physical examination and said she was full of arthritis which was causing her a lot of pain. They gave her a shot of solensia and said she should improve in a few days.

That evening she barely ate, peed herself, and stayed in one spot. I had never seen her this lethargic. I brought her to the vet again the next day as her condition was worsening.

Same clinic but different vet. She also said it was arthritis and gave her some pain meds for us to give her with a syringe and said the top priority is to get her to eat, and that if she didn’t eat we have to bring her again.

The next day she passed away at home.

Does anyone know what this could have been? Was it old age and her arthritis? (She was 16 and 4 months). I thought of saddle thrombus, but the second time we saw the vet I specifically asked to check her for that and they said it wasn’t because she had a good pulse in her back legs. I also asked them to check her heart and they said it was good. I know she was paralyzed though because her foot pads had turned purple the morning before the passed away. But as I mentioned the limp started 2 weeks ago then seemed to be going away and returned again, affecting her front paw.
Also, at the second vet appointment she had tried to jump out of her cage and hit her front paw, and her wrist bone stuck out at a weird angle (like a bump above her paw). It was like her bones became jello.
Old age? Saddle thrombus? Stroke? Something else? Please help 💔

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may have been a small stroke. I'm so sorry.....15-16 is when many cats die naturally. I would really say there was nothing you could have done, it was just her time. The extremities turn blue and mottled when the body is shutting down. It starts on the feet and legs of humans. It's completely natural to want some closure and to second-guess yourself. Please try not to dwell on her end but on teh wonderful years you got to spend with her. She is at peace because she carries your love in her heart. Don't beat yourself up, it brings nothing but pain.....bless you for loving her so much.....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, I'm so very sorry 😔.

This might help you;

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have my heartfelt condolences. Sometimes, knowing what causes a cat's passing is no more consoling than not knowing, and more often than not, it does not provide closure. The closure comes with recognizing - over time - that you and she had so many wonderful years together that will give you lasting memories to reflect upon as your sorrow eases.

Mourning her passing is only natural, whether or not you know why it happened. I truly believe that cats want us to revel in what they were all about when they were with us rather than let our grief overcome cherishing those special things about them.

This site has a section to memorialize our cats with stories and pics of their lives with us - as many and as often as you want to share them. When you are ready, please post a lasting tribute to your little girl here - Crossing the Bridge | TheCatSite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Isabelladianaxox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may have been a small stroke. I'm so sorry.....15-16 is when many cats die naturally. I would really say there was nothing you could have done, it was just her time. The extremities turn blue and mottled when the body is shutting down. It starts on the feet and legs of humans. It's completely natural to want some closure and to second-guess yourself. Please try not to dwell on her end but on teh wonderful years you got to spend with her. She is at peace because she carries your love in her heart. Don't beat yourself up, it brings nothing but pain.....bless you for loving her so much.....
Thank you so much for your kind words, hearing this helps bring me a little bit of peace. I really needed to hear this. I feel like a huge piece of my heart has been ripped out, she was the first pet I ever lost and my childhood best friend, I got her a few months before I turned 10 and am now 26.. she’s been there for me through everything 😔❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Isabelladianaxox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have my heartfelt condolences. Sometimes, knowing what causes a cat's passing is no more consoling than not knowing, and more often than not, it does not provide closure. The closure comes with recognizing - over time - that you and she had so many wonderful years together that will give you lasting memories to reflect upon as your sorrow eases.

Mourning her passing is only natural, whether or not you know why it happened. I truly believe that cats want us to revel in what they were all about when they were with us rather than let our grief overcome cherishing those special things about them.

This site has a section to memorialize our cats with stories and pics of their lives with us - as many and as often as you want to share them. When you are ready, please post a lasting tribute to your little girl here - Crossing the Bridge | TheCatSite.
Thank you❤ Thank you for giving me a different perspective on her passing, this really brought me some peace.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. There is no way to know for sure, but with the purple toes you mentioned, I would think she had maybe a partial thrombosis leading to a full one. They can have mini strokes that lead to a final stroke. If the blood clot is only partially blocking blood flow, there would still be a pulse. The purple toes are a very common sign of thrombosis.

I am so sorry for your loss.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my younger human brother 14 years ago to alcoholism, after he had tried to get sober, and was successful for a while. Then he was found having drunk so much he died from alcohol poisoning.

For a long time, my family insisted on figuring out exactly what happened... where he got the alcohol... who may have given it to him... etc. We didn't get all the answers, but over time figured out how to deal with it. And the details no longer matter to me.

Over time, you learn how to remember the people/pets you lost in a way where you first think about the good memories, and the bad memories around their loss become less important.

There is no way to short-circuit this, however. It just takes time. And constantly thinking about the good times.