Can sediment in urine be visible to the naked eye?

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not terribly concerned at the moment, more of a curiosity.

The backstory:

About two weeks ago, I took in a foster cat (owner had a health emergency.)
He did not use the litter box the first day.
The second day, because he was an indoor/outdoor cat, I revolutioned him.
Maybe 10 minutes after the dose, he was sitting on the windowsill and began to pant heavily. I thought he was having an allergic reaction. Then he hissed (not at me,) hopped into the litter box and did a big pee that was quite long (as in it shot out the back of him instead of in a tight round puddle - maybe this is normal for males?) He seemed okay after that (and has totally been fine ever since.)
I was unsure if the panting/hiss was due to pee pain (stress or crystals) or the revolution, so I started adding a lot of water to his food (canned food only.)

I use a litter that is light yellow in colour and clumps super tightly, so I can really easily see if there's any discoloration or changes in quantity or shape.
I want to say a day or two later I was scooping his box and noticed one clump that had all these brownish specks on the bottom of it. I'm pretty certain it wasn't blood. I didn't really process it at the time, but now I'm quite curious about it and wish I had taken a photo! I've been told that sediment and crystals can't be observed by the naked eye, but it was something! I'm certain it wasn't random dirt or something that fell into the box.

I haven't noticed it since and he pees just fine now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not believe sediment in urine is visible to the naked eye - it requires microscopic analysis to see. So, it is highly unlikely what you saw in your cat's litter box is related to sediment or crystals. Just keep monitoring the litter/pee clumps to see if you find it again, otherwise you are going to have to assume it came from your cat's paws from another source.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not believe sediment in urine is visible to the naked eye - it requires microscopic analysis to see. So, it is highly unlikely what you saw in your cat's litter box is related to sediment or crystals. Just keep monitoring the litter/pee clumps to see if you find it again, otherwise you are going to have to assume it came from your cat's paws from another source.
Yeah maybe! It really looked like it was contained to the pee clump and had sunk to the bottom.

Well, a mystery for the ages and in any event he's fine now!