Can prednisolone cause incontinence?

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone:
My cat Luna is currently on prednisolone. I am in the process of weaning her off of it (giving it to her every 3rd day), she has been on prednisolone now for about a month and a half. Recently, she has started having accidents just outside her litter box. It looks like she is in the process of getting in her litter box to urinate but it starts coming out before she is totally in. Yesterday, she actually started in one litter box and finished in another(I have two litter boxes side by side with a bit of a gap between them) and the urine in the first box was like a spray and you could see the trail as it went towards the second litter box with urine also in the gap between the boxes; almost as if she didn't realize she was urinating. I am wondering if this could be caused by the prednisolone? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm totally perplexed.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is possible but you need to talk to your vet to be sure.

One of the effects of prednisolone is increased frequency of urination.
Think about it... the liver and kidneys are working overtime to clear a foreign substance from the bloodstream. That's what kidneys do. They make urine. Right? ;)

So, consider that. If a cat needs to urinate more frequently, it only stands to reason that the chances of having an "accident" at the litter box are increased. If your cat is older or has other health problems, it would make sense that giving medication like prednisolone would increase the chances of accidents even more.

Prednisolone or any other medication is not bad, by itself. If your cat needs medicine for some reason, it is only logical to give it to her but, as you are seeing, virtually all medications can have side effects. The longer you give the meds or the higher the dosage, the greater the chance of unwanted effects. It doesn't matter what the medicine is. This applies across the board.

The trick is to understand what your cat's health situation is, what it might take to alleviate a given health condition and what the side effects could be. You weigh the benefits against the disadvantages and decide accordingly.

This is the conversation you need to have with your vet.
Why does my cat need to take medication?
How is the medicine supposed to help? What is it supposed to do?
What are the possible side effects? How do I decide whether the disadvantages are greater than the benefits?
What do I do if I think the side effects are not worth it, anymore?

It, kind of, frys my bacon when doctors just hand out prescriptions to people without explaining things!
Don't feel bad about contacting your vet and grilling them a little bit. After all, that's what you're paying them for. Right? ;)

I think your course of action is about right. Gradually stop giving meds to your cat then wait and see whether she stops having accidents.

In the mean time, it would be worthwhile to get your vet on the horn and hold their feet to the fire, just a little bit. ;)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Why is she taking the prednisolone? Was this meant to be a short course from which you would wean her off? If so, I would continue to wean her off of it as per the vet's instructions. If it was for a more serious or prolonged condition, talk to your vet about stopping it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. Luna is on prednisolone because of IBD/food allergies(she is allergic to chicken). I was aware of the frequent urination side effect but was never told about possible incontinence. She is on 2.5 mg pill every 3 days at the moment. She started with this dose at 2.5 every day for 21 days then every other day for 2 weeks and we are now at every 3 days to be followed by once a week and hopefully stop completely. I have switched her to rabbit and lamb food. The thought behind giving her the prednisolone was to reduce her inflammation (pancreas and intestines) while the diet change took place and her food allergies subsided. I am hoping that once she is off the prednisolone she will continue to have solid stools and no vomiting. Of course, I understand that it is possible she will have to be on prednisolone on and off if she has flare ups. I am holding out hope that it is in fact just food sensitivities and not IBD.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for explaining. I see the strategy that your vet is using and hopefully she will respond to the food change and be able to stop the pred.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, for sure, but maybe you could consider some digestive probiotic supplements.

I had appendicitis when I was a kid and my appendix had to be removed. That was decades ago.
Ever since I can remember, I have had bouts of bad digestion. Sometimes it goes one way. Sometimes it goes the other. (If you get my drift... ;) )

The reason for this, I found out much later in life, is because the appendix is a reservoir for beneficial bacteria in the digestive system. Without that reservoir I often don't have the bacteria necessary to digest food properly. That's the reason for my trouble. I don't have enough bacteria to help digest food properly.

The solution for this is for me to take some dietary supplements to replenish my supply of gut bacteria. I don't have to take them every day. Not even weekly. I just take the supplements when I feel like my digestion isn't working as well as normal. I keep them in the bathroom cabinet and take them when needed. My digestion usually clears up within a day or so. After years and years of this routine, it feels pretty normal to me. It's almost the same as if you get thirsty and need a drink of water.

Your cat's situation reminds me of my own, a little. That's why I suggest probiotics.

Maybe you could have a talk with your vet and see what they think. I feel certain that they'll probably say, "It can't hurt."
Talk it over. See what the vet thinks. Bounce a few ideas around. Maybe the vet can suggest something... I don't know.

Several companies make probiotic digestive supplements for cats. They come in different forms, too. They have traditional pills/capsules that you give by mouth. They make powders that you can sprinkle on food. They also make treats that you can offer, occasionally. I'd probably choose the powder and sprinkle some on her food when you think it's needed.

Still... Talk it over with the vet because, even though most supplements are sold over the counter, there is a chance that something you give your cat could interfere with some treatment your vet intends to give.

With that and a little luck, hopefully, you'll be able to get your cat weaned off all the regular medicines and just manage her digestion with a proper diet and an occasional supplement. :)

But call your vet first. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you CaspersHuman:
I had typed a whole reply with a history of my Luna's issues that started in June and just lost the whole lot of it. I hit something and lost the entire reply... :/