Can my cat sleep in a cat crate overnight?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family invited some people over to our house that will be staying the night, and possibly another day as well. One of my cats is very afraid of strangers. This cat needs to also stay away from all my other cats due to some behavioral issues of hers. The only way I can keep her away from both the guests as well as all my other cats is to keep her in my bedroom while the people are here. However, I cannot leave her unsupervised in my room because I have pet birds, and I'm worried about what to do at night. If I could, I would just bring in a big dog crate and have her sleep in there so I don't need to worry about my birds while I sleep, but both of my dog crates are being used by sick chickens right now and I cannot use them for my cat at the moment. The only crate I have left is a regular cat carrier crate, the kind you would use for a vet visit or trip. It's a hard carrier so she can't get out, but I worry if it would be too uncomfortable for her to sleep in it. Would it be okay if she slept in it for one night? Or do I need to figure out a different solution? During the day she will be outside of the crate since I will be staying in my room most of the day anyways, so I can keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't hurt my birds. But it's nighttime that I am worried about.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, the problem is that there's no room for a litterbox or water, both of which are necessary for that length of time. Can you borrow a big dog crate? Or move the birds out temporarily?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A dog crate, that could also hold a litter box and water/food dishes, I think would be fine. But unless the cat carrier is really large, I feel that would be a mistake, as you don't want her having to either hold her pee/poop or just go in the small carrier.

Is there a spare bathroom she could be kept in overnight? Or could the bird's cages be moved just overnight?

I did google the question, and there were several responses, including the below. So maybe if you can get up during the night to check on her it would work. I guess it would also depend on your cat, and if she is comfortable in the carrier, or if she'd be meowing to get out. Also whether she usually eats / drinks / uses the litter box during the night or not.

1699388523215.png

Traveling With Your Cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bird cages are too big to move, and the dog crates are being used by sick chickens. I can't put her in any other rooms in the house since my bedroom is the only place she can be away from all my other cats as well as the guests.

So what I'm understanding here is that cats cannot hold their bladders for an entire night like dogs can?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So what I'm understanding here is that cats cannot hold their bladders for an entire night like dogs can?
We understand that the crates you currently have are in use. Can you borrow another dog crate from someone else, because your cat can't hold her urine or her poop overnight. She also needs enough room for a water bowl.

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no unfortunately I don't know anyone with spare dog crates.

If I let her out in the middle of the night to use the litterbox and drink some water, would that work?

Also forgot to mention that yes, she is comfortable inside of her crate in the sense that she is calm inside of it and doesn't freak out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats probably can and do, particularly indoor/outdoor cats. But if your cat always has a litter box available, she can just go whenever she wants to, so it might be hard for her to change her normal routine, even for just one night.

How old is she, btw?

And does she pay much attention to your birds? If their cages are covered, which I presume they are at night, would that be enough to keep her from being able to get to them?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats probably can and do, particularly indoor/outdoor cats. But if your cat always has a litter box available, she can just go whenever she wants to, so it might be hard for her to change her normal routine, even for just one night.

How old is she, btw?

And does she pay much attention to your birds? If their cages are covered, which I presume they are at night, would that be enough to keep her from being able to get to them?
She's two years old, has access to a litterbox 24/7 normally. She has a very high prey drive, and I can't cover the cages because they are too big. The birds sleep at night, so they wouldn't be provoking her by flying around however I'm just worried that she would see them sleeping and it would be the perfect opportunity for her to jump up at them and/or reach in and catch them. I have heard some horror stories of cats killing birds inside the cages and I don't really want to risk it since the bar spacing is big enough for her to reach her paws in if she really wanted to.

I may just end up getting up a few times at night to let her out and use the litterbox, or I actually just got an idea to maybe let her sleep in the catio outside where she often stays and just wake up really early to take her inside before the guests wake up. I'm actually thinking that might be a better idea, since she will be more comfortable that way. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier lol but I think making this post and processing the situation helped.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's two years old, has access to a litterbox 24/7 normally. She has a very high prey drive, and I can't cover the cages because they are too big. The birds sleep at night, so they wouldn't be provoking her by flying around however I'm just worried that she would see them sleeping and it would be the perfect opportunity for her to jump up at them and/or reach in and catch them. I have heard some horror stories of cats killing birds inside the cages and I don't really want to risk it since the bar spacing is big enough for her to reach her paws in if she really wanted to.

I may just end up getting up a few times at night to let her out and use the litterbox, or I actually just got an idea to maybe let her sleep in the catio outside where she often stays and just wake up really early to take her inside before the guests wake up. I'm actually thinking that might be a better idea, since she will be more comfortable that way. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier lol but I think making this post and processing the situation helped.
Let us know how it goes. The catio idea is a good one.
Dogs can hold it all night, because dogs are usually used to the "go out and go pee" routine before bed, where cats take care of the bathroom needs themselves as needed and don't always empty out before their person goes to bed.
BTW, I hope your sick chickens get better soon, as well!

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dogs can hold it all night, because dogs are usually used to the "go out and go pee" routine before bed, where cats take care of the bathroom needs themselves as needed and don't always empty out before their person goes to bed.
Got it, that makes sense about the dogs.

The catio idea worked, I got up before the guests did and got my cat and now she is in my bedroom with me and very happy.