Can my cat catch this?

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, last night two of my brothers 4 week old kittens suddenly died, he phoned the vet who said it was fading kitten syndrome and as the two were twins the other died from sympathy. I’m worried it’s something else tho as that seems a little weird? But my biggest worry is that on Sunday I have my nephews sleeping over but I’m worried that if that kittens had something wrong my nephews could bring it to my house. My cat is 7 years old and can’t have vaccinations anymore as the last vaccination gave her bad stomach problems so the vet said she is most likely allergic. If there is even a small risk of my cat getting ill from them then they will not be staying.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since your cat has been vaccinated? If within the last two years there is not a lot of worries. They last that long. Most deadly diseases are caused by being born with them or getting deep bites. The most contagious other one is distemper and in almost all instances the other kittens would be doing poorly too, you might call and check. I can't believe the vet wouldn't want to check for that. If your brother's cat is up on her vaccinations, it very well may be fading kitten syndrome, but two deaths are suspicious.
My cats no longer receive vaccinations also, they have leukemia. I recommend giving DMG, a supplement to boost your cat's immunity. It is found on most websites, like Walmart, PetMeds, and Amazon.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi K Katieannee No, fading kitten syndrome is not contagious. We have an article about it here.

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

If you cat has already been vaccinated and is in good health you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It's very sad about the kittens, but these things unfortunately do happen. The best thing to do is spay the other cat as soon as possible, so she doesn't have another litter that might die the same way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t been vaccinated for about 3 years now. No other kittens seem to be ill but the other two went down hill so fast with barley any symptoms so he can’t be sure. I thought it was weird that both kittens died within hours of each other but I guess it could just be fading kitten syndrome. Thank you for the help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he is getting an appointment to spay her as soon a possible. Which in my opinion he should of got her spayed before she got pregnant but that can’t be changed now sadly. Thank you for the help