Can creatinine levels raise during a pancreatitis flare?

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old cat has chronic pancreatitis. Has had since 2020.

Last flare was in January - ED and my regular vet said all his labs looked great. Today we went to vet for a different issue and we saw a different doctor (mine was at surgery). She went through his history and mentioned in January during his flare up at ED his creatinine raised to 1.8 and his urine seemed "watery". She said it could be due to the dehydration and him received large amounts of fluid through IV, but wants to monitor every six months.

My questions could creatinine be raised temporarily during a flare with dehydration and fluids? Also, why would everyone else not mention it to us at all!

Frustrated and worried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to what I have read on Tanya's web site, creatinine can become elevated with pancreatitis. You might find these sections of the web site informative. They also contain links to other applicable articles/data.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Pancreatitis (felinecrf.org)
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Blood Chemistry Panel (felinecrf.org)

Oftentimes, flare ups are treated with sub-Q fluids, and even pain meds if deemed beneficial. I have never read that sub-Q fluids will cause 'watery' urine, usually this is labeled as dilute urine which is an indicator of CKD - not sure if it is also correlative to pancreatitis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You might want to obtain his records going back a few visits and review them so you can see what's happening, regarding whether the creatinine was elevated just this last visit, or what. I don't know enough about it, but with the pancreatitis going on I'm not all that surprised they're asking for six-month intervals.

Was she referring to the dilute urine being a result of the dehydration and/or fluids, or the elevated creatinine, or both?

Also, my angel Poppycat had dilute urine (I'm assuming that's what she meant by watery) for years without it being specifically related to anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at his lab results from this past January and from another flare up July 2022 and both times his Bun was 20 and creatinine was 1.8. Maybe it's normal for him during flares?