Can cow's milk kill kittens ?

CleanAir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost 3 weeks ago, I found 2 newborn kittens on a regular domestic trash can, their eyes were still closed. So I took them home and tried my best to keep them alive. For 3 weeks They had been drinking raw milk, They got bigger and stronger. But 2 days ago, one of them wook up almost dead, the Vet tried everything but It passed away. A day after, the other one was in the same situation and died while I was waiting for the vet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that this happened. :alright:

While it’s not recommended to give cow’s milk to kittens, because kittens are lactose-intolerant, so giving them cow’s milk can lead to diarrhea, and, consequently, dehydration, I’m not sure it can actually kill them (except, I suppose if it leads to extreme dehydration). See: Can Kittens Drink Milk? | PetMD

So, something else may have been going on with your kittens. Did the vet have any theories of what may have been the cause?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleanAir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that this happened. :alright:

While it’s not recommended to give cow’s milk to kittens, because kittens are lactose-intolerant, so giving them cow’s milk can lead to diarrhea, and, consequently, dehydration, I’m not sure it can actually kill them (except, I suppose if it leads to extreme dehydration). See: Can Kittens Drink Milk? | PetMD

So, something else may have been going on with your kittens. Did the vet have any theories of what may have been the cause?
Thanks for the kind words, She told me it was probably due to bad nutrition as the kitten was underweight.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Raw cow milk is less bad than pasteurized cow milk. So they should manage on this, even if its not my first recommendation. I know of kittens whom survived on raw cow milk; its usually with peasants, whom do have access to raw milk.

My guess they died of something else than this milk. Perhaps pneumonia? Its easy happen with hand feed kittens... Even experienced rescuers have mishaps...

Underweigh? How much did they added every day? 10+ grammes? Or much less?

If much less may be; because they got too little every day. Yeah, this happens with new rescuers. They perhaps tell they are supplementing and it sounds fine, but they give waay to little....
The typical dose is 9ml / 30 grammes body weigh / day. (or 8 ml / ounce) So a newborn kitten of say 120g should have about 36 ml kmr or goats milk (or raw cow milk) a day. More if it wants, but not much less...

If they get what they shall, and still add less than 10g a day, it may be some fault on the food, or some fault on them, or even - they are such minicats whom do grow much slower...

Anyway, you DID what you could. Your conscience is clean, your Karma has grown, and these kittens immortal souls are resting in peace - because they did got help, love and care....

CleanAir CleanAir