Can Cat Friendly Cat Help Socialize Feral Cat?

CarolO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been feeding and sheltering a male feral? cat for about a year. We named him Robinhood because I found him in the woods behind our house, and I started feeding him. About a week later, he must have followed me home, and we have been feeding him breakfast and dinner ever since. He is very skittish and will only allow my husband to pet him while he is eating. About two weeks ago we were finally able to trap him and take him to a vet. He was found to be about 6 to 8 years old, and in very good health. He had been neutered, no ear clip, so he was someone's cat at some time. We brought him back to the house, and he has been hiding in many places ever since. He is eating and using the litter box. We had two rescue cats (not feral) previously and both died last year. Zoe, our lovely calico Turkish Van lady finally succumbed to chronic kidney disease at 18 years old. Buddy, our loving jet black Bombay guy died suddenly at 11 years old of a blood clot caused by a hidden heart condition. We were devastated and still are--they were our babies. I am now crying. Can't think about them. i mention them because when Buddy would sit in the cat seat by the window, Robin would stand up and scratch at the window, seemingly to make contact with Buddy. Last spring, with the warmer weather Robin would come in the house to eat-- as long as the door stayed open. He was eating one day and suddenly Zoe appeared and started eating Robin's food. Robin backed away and just sat up, watching Zoe eat his food. Because of these two incidents, I'm wondering if introducing a female spayed kitten or young socialized cat would help Robin adapt to living inside a home with people, and help him get over his fear of people.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks, CarolO

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: CaroLO, welcome to TCS

So
A787F7FE-8130-4D81-AF1D-226976B75668.gif
to hear about Zoe and Buddy :alright: If you are ready, you may want to pay a tribute to them here in Crossing the Bridge

Now, about Robinhood, thank you for taking care of him for the past one year and he looks like he was an abandoned kitty and not a feral. As your house is catless now, it’s good that you start to bond with him. Let him into your house and let him own the house and let him feel loved and feel at home. Hiding is normal as he has been outdoors for a long time and your house and surroundings are new to him. Give him time and he’ll start venturing and he’ll find it safe and he’ll not hide anymore.

Bonding with him right now is very important as through this bonding, he’ll start to trust you and it’ll be easier for you to get him to stay indoors. You’ve got to clear his mind of wandering outside and changing his mind to make your house his. Food is very important now. Let him know that there’s no more place that offers food except your house. Introducing another cat now is secondary.

chrisjoesepp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been feeding and sheltering a male feral? cat for about a year. We named him Robinhood because I found him in the woods behind our house, and I started feeding him. About a week later, he must have followed me home, and we have been feeding him breakfast and dinner ever since. He is very skittish and will only allow my husband to pet him while he is eating. About two weeks ago we were finally able to trap him and take him to a vet. He was found to be about 6 to 8 years old, and in very good health. He had been neutered, no ear clip, so he was someone's cat at some time. We brought him back to the house, and he has been hiding in many places ever since. He is eating and using the litter box. We had two rescue cats (not feral) previously and both died last year. Zoe, our lovely calico Turkish Van lady finally succumbed to chronic kidney disease at 18 years old. Buddy, our loving jet black Bombay guy died suddenly at 11 years old of a blood clot caused by a hidden heart condition. We were devastated and still are--they were our babies. I am now crying. Can't think about them. i mention them because when Buddy would sit in the cat seat by the window, Robin would stand up and scratch at the window, seemingly to make contact with Buddy. Last spring, with the warmer weather Robin would come in the house to eat-- as long as the door stayed open. He was eating one day and suddenly Zoe appeared and started eating Robin's food. Robin backed away and just sat up, watching Zoe eat his food. Because of these two incidents, I'm wondering if introducing a female spayed kitten or young socialized cat would help Robin adapt to living inside a home with people, and help him get over his fear of people.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks, CarolO
First, my condolences for your loss. Took in a feral cat years ago when a multiple leg break allowed his capture-he'd been living at a friends country home in their barn for years. He spent his first 2 years hiding in our basement and what finally brought him around was our calico, Lilli. She is an exceptionally gentle and tolerant cat and he fell in love with her and eventually followed her upstairs. He gradually turned into a pretty exceptional cat himself. Sadly, we lost him to old age last March, but while trying to keep him going and spending a lot of time at my vets, I made the acquaintance of another feral rescue that my vet had taken in from a local cat rescue. When Buster-our original feral cat-died, I adopted Doug. He was timid at first, and two of my cats gave him a hard time. but once again Lilli came to the rescue. He connected with her, and gradually was accepted, and now that he is gaining confidence, he is also turning into a friendly, loving companion. The point being, a particular cat might have the qualities that will allow an outsider cat to become a part of the family, but it's that cats personality that makes the difference. Two of our cats made life a misery for our feral adoptees, including our spayed female. It was Lilli's easy going and tolerant nature that made the difference. Now Doug is best buds with our rambunctious 2 year old Dudley, but Dudley persistently attacked Doug at first, finally stopping when Lilli allowed Doug to snuggle with her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally believe that every cat should have at least one cat companion. Cats are happier if they have a buddy to play with and possibly even snuggle with. I would give your kitty time to adjust to you and your home and living indoors. Once he is comfortable with you and your home, then take in a second cat. I would suggest either a kitten, or a very mellow cat. Orange tabbies are generally very sweet natured. But to answer your question, my experience has been that modeling loving behavior with a resident cat does help to socialize a new and scared cat.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have put this video up before, but it still makes the point. It is somewhat unusual for an old male feral cat to adopt kittens, but it does happen. By the way the story has change a little. It used to say that Mason had terminal kidney disease. It no longer says that so it appears that the kittens have proven to be as good for him as he is for them. I guess he is better now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

Condolences on the losses of Zoe and Buddy. RIP sweet kitties. :angel:

I'm glad you now have Robin to help heal your broken hearts. :redheartpump: I don't have any personal experience with ferals or strays, but enjoy reading these threads and have been learning a little along the way. It's certainly not strange for a stray to hide in a new home. I've even read of cats adopted from shelters taking a while to get comfortable in their new home.

Here are a few TCS articles that may be helpful:
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Adopting A Stray Cat
Handling Feral Cats
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Plus a couple on cat introductions, if you decide to adopt a buddy for Robin. :catlove:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
The Multi-cat Household
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Oh, and please post a picture of Robin, if you can. We love pictures. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When the shelter gets a semi-feral or a feral we think we might be able to tame, that cat gets put in a room with at least one very friendly cat. That way the (semi-)feral can observe feline-human interactions and learn that humans don't all have to be feared and avoided.