Can anyone identify what these marks are on my cats head?

BRGT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone identify what these marks are on my cats head? They are small bumps that are dry, somewhat fuzzy, and orange at the top. It doesnt look like blood. He is an outdoor cat, male, not neutered, and explores a lot. Thank you for any insight!
signal-2023-04-30-091250_007.jpeg
signal-2023-04-30-091250_008.jpeg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where are you located?
Could it be this type of mite? Neotrombicula autumnalis mites, also called harvest mites or chigger mites The 'introduction', which explains the mite as being visible with the naked human eye and appears as orange spots, is about a one-quarter through the article. The beginning is discussing tests relative to treatment.
Treatment of Neotrombicula species infestation in cats using a 10% (w/v) fipronil topical spot-on formulation: a pilot study - Marie C Cadiergues, Christelle Navarro, Eloy Castilla-Castaño, Line A Lecru, Charline Pressanti, 2018 (sagepub.com)

Feline trombiculosis: a retrospective study in 72 cats - PubMed (nih.gov)

I am still looking for some pics to see if they compare.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don'tknow... I'm familiar with harvest mites, and to me, this doesn't look anything like them. It looks to me like something dropped on his head in tiny droplets. I'm wondering if you've tried to wash or wipe it off. Is it bothering him at all? I still wonder if it's just something stuck in his fur and not coming from the skin at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BRGT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesnt seem to be bothering him but Ill try to wash the areas. The color of the photos is true, the spots are that shade of orange.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never seen any mites or ticks that colour and we get a lot of creepy crawlies in this area. I wonder if he could have got up under an old truck and got engine gunk or rust stuck to his fur?

I think trying to clean the area and seeing if they wash off would be a good place to start.

I don't want to lecture you, but un-neutered males that are allowed to roam can end up costing you a fortune in vet's bills. They tend to get in a lot of fights, get injuries that need stitches or antibiotics and pick up all kinds of parasites from their run-ins with other cats. Getting him neutered will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - TheCatSite