Can anyone at all help me with Seresto cat flea collars/bad flea allergy

amyinnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to be brutally honest here, in name of God, please no bullying, and do not come for me. I am at the end of my rope and do not know what else to do. I have done EVERY SINGLE THING that I have been told about to do as far a scrubbing, cleaning, vacuuming carpets, etc. using the earth dust on my carpets, porch, doorways, yard, you name it. The thing is I have gone on SSI and it is not a lot and these collars are 70.00 a pop and we have FIVE rescues that keep trading the fleas back and forth. Anyone with fur babies can relate. Anyway, I have heard these will basically end the flea problem. I can not afford one of these, much less five. Anyone have any they do not need by chance, any ideas how I can get five of them? Any codes, coupons, ANYTHING AT ALL PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cat is going through the flea allergies. He is so pitiful, and at the same time, this is driving me nuts. I took him to the Vet and they gave shots, and some medicine but it did not completely clear up and they want me to repay to come back, and I am low income, got help the first time, and can not afford to pay again. Did you find any relief for this? His fur is looking really shabby and bad!

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't heard much in the way of positives about Seresto collars, and I suspect they aren't any more effective than other flea treatments. Some say they are actually harmful while doing pretty much nothing for the fleas. So, IMO, I would not buy them even if you could afford to do so.

I don't know how long your flea eradication efforts have been going on, or what all you are doing, but it can take months to fully get rid of them. And all the cats should be treated with something, as part of the process. And, I think the more cats you have the longer it can take. It gets even more difficult if they go outdoors, as they will continuously bring in more fleas. The least expensive, 'safest' flea topical treatments are Advantage II and Frontline Plus and both are non-prescription. Each one seems to have areas of this country where they are less effective, so you may have to use one for a while and then move to the other. A six pack of Advantage II will still cost you in the neighborhood of $64 dollars (Chewy.com), $10 per cat per month with one left over for the next month. Sometimes if you search you can find them on sale.

Take a look at this web site, and this TCS article, to see if you are taking all the right steps, and what you might use on your cats for flea treatment if you are not already doing so.
FleaScience
Cat Fleas - The Silent Threat To Your Cat - TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also have no experience with Seresto collars. However, we had a miserable flea season here and, in my area as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner stated, Advantage and Frontline are all but useless. One of my indoor only cats was badly affected despite my best efforts and tested positive for bartonella on a tick PCR. My vet gave him one Capstar in the office; I did not buy a package of them. I did then purchase Revolution which I applied two days later, as instructed. I found this to resolve the issue although I did apply Revolution again one month later. Many vets will sell you one vial if they apply it in the office, at least here. Something like this may help you keep the cost down.

Fleas were very resistant here and my vet told me that she had to give two cats transfusions because they became so anemic from the fleas.

What other treatments did the vet give your cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did then purchase Revolution which I applied two days later, as instructed. I found this to resolve the issue although I did apply Revolution again one month later. Many vets will sell you one vial if they apply it in the office, at least here. Something like this may help you keep the cost down.
If you choose to go the Revolution route, make sure it is NOT the Revolution Plus version, which contains an added ingredient that has been connected to neurological issues - primarily in cats with a related history, although it can happen with other cats too. A lot of the vets are defaulting to the Plus version, so you have to ask. Revolution also covers hookworms, roundworms, ear mites, and heartworm larvae, just so you know. Neither Advantage II or Frontline Plus do, but the latter also covers ticks and lice.

It is prescription, but once you get it through the vet and choose to use it routinely, you can order it online with places like Chewy.com who will obtain an ongoing prescription from your vet for the order. However, it is pretty expensive - a month's supply for 5 cats would run you in the neighborhood of $150 per month using Chewy's cost.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The video I saw on you-tube about using salt/ baking soda on rugs etc I haven’t tried yet…still have fleas but it seems like they’ve got fewer. I took up a rug that was in the living room and I bet it was loaded with fleas. I'm also still combing all 11 cats twice a day. I agree, the flea treatments are outrageously priced..
I’m still using the Advantage II.
Amyinnc, check this site. How to Find Coupons for Free Advantage Flea Treatment | Sapling
I’ve actually emailed a few companies for cat food and asked for coupons or samples (figure it doesn’t hurt to ask) I was kind of surprised but they actually sent me coupons..I’ve also done it for my cat litter and received coupons, so why not give it a try for flea treatments?
I had posted in another forum what I do for my flea dilemma.
i dont know if I can copy and paste it here, will try

Flea problem

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 11 indoor cats and I comb them twice a day, I’ve been giving the Advantage II and trying to vacuum as often as I can. It seems like there are 3 of them that suffer more with fleas than the others.After I vacuum I open the canister and spray a flea treatment inside and also in the hoseand then plug the end of the hose til the nex vacuumin. Once the bag is full, they take it out spray and a shot of flea treatment put in a plastic bag, tie it up tight and put it outside until garbage day.. and recently, I pulled up the rug in the living room and got rid of it. No more rugs for me they make a great hiding place for those little buggers. Seems like I’ve noticed a big difference with the rug out of here not to say I haven’t gotten completely rid of the fleas. After I comb each cat, i take the hair off the flea comb and put it on the bathroom counter then, when I see any flea I squish it with my thumbnail, or you could put some water in the bathroom sink and I use apple cider vinegar instead of any dish soap, because it seems like they drown in it quicker. After all the cats are combed separately, (so I know which cat has more fleas than the other) I wrap the fur up in toilet paper, put it in a plastic sandwich bag, tie it tight and throw it in the garbage.
None of my cats ever go outside!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get the Apple cider vinegar at the dollar store, a lot cheaper than prices at grocery stores…

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew there was something else I forgot to mention. I also give one of my cats a treat called CatMX, it’s supposed to help cats with allergies, skin problems because that one particular cat had a lot of scabs from flea bites and now I’ve noticed when I comb her I’m not really seeing many fleas at all, and it seems like the scabs are slowly disappearing… I don’t recall how much it cost but I don’t think it was that expensive.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No judgment here, fleas are a complete PITA and are expensive to treat. BTDT and I feel your pain.
Would it be possible to treat the cat that's having such a terrible reaction to their bites, and continue with your regime for the other 4?
People here have recommended a chamomile tea soak for irritated skin. According to members here, German is best and you want to avoid English tea and any flavorings. You steep it as usual, let it cool, then apply to the itchy areas with a cotton ball. It's safe if ingested.
I managed to end a flea problem in a house with 2 dogs and 3 cats with a lot of vacuuming (twice a day was normal, 3 times if I was able), daily flea combing, and their favorite beds and blankets often. It took a few months to get them all, but I managed to do it.
Do you use a flea comb on your cats? I've found they lay most of the "dirt" around their ears/cheeks and necks, as well as the croup area right over their tail, as well as down the spine. This can be a good indication of how many you're dealing with.
Do your cats go outside at all?