Can a cat care for another cat's kitten?

Gingerbeer91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats. One gave birth 2 weeks ago but her kittens were killed by a male cat just yesterday. While my other cat gave birth yesterday. I was wondering if i can take one of her kittens and give it to the grieving cat to take care of?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not unheard of for one cat to care for another cat's kittens, but I don't recommend taking a kitten and trying to force it on another mother if the real mother is able to care for them. You could contact a local shelter and see if they have any orphaned kittens that need a mother. The shelter would be glad of someone willing to foster, I'm sure

Are both of your cats indoors now? Was the male cat that killed the kittens one of your cats too? It's very uncommon for male cats to kill kittens, but please keep the male away from the mothers until they have both been spayed.

Cats will come into heat again soon after giving birth, so you need to make spay appointments for both of the female cats as soon as you can.

Do you need help finding a low cost spay & neuter clinic?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Its probably doable, but better if the momma gets orphans from a shelter, or something such... Try.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Another possibility, if the mommas are good friends, is they simply co-parent... There may become complications, say one takes over, but if the cats are friends, this often works nicely.

Still, there is always a need for good foster mommas, and double so, if they have milk... So best is if you cooperate with a shelter or rescue group.