Can a cat be near the end of pregnancy with a small belly?

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our little baby, socks, is a house cat and has been since we first got her during covid. She was the runt of the litter and so has always been a small girl. We never had her fixed as we never planned on letting her out and since she did manage to escape we will be making an appointment to have her fixed as soon as we can. However it’s been 61 days since she did get out and when I found her she was with a male cat who often comes to the kitchen window when our girl is in season. I scared him off and socks ran inside. A few weeks later her nipples pinked up and she started to calm down as she is normally quite lively and runs around a lot. All signs point to her being pregnant however her belly is still quite small and I can’t see or feel anything when I slightly touch her belly which she lets me do no problem. She’s been very clingy today wanting to be stroked a lot and is still eating food as normal. We switched to kitten food a couple of weeks ago when we suspected she was pregnant. So is it possible she has an impending litter with no belly?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s due in the next week and likely has a singleton or just two. It will be a surprise!

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance. I’m worried that because there is no movement that I can see or feel that perhaps it/they will be stillborn.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An x-ray at the vet would confirm number of kittens and an approximate gestational age. Since she’s not bulging, you might want to get her checked so you know what’s going on. Keep us posted!

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was my first thought but a trip to the vets is extremely stressful for her. She doesn’t like the carrier, car ride or being there and I don’t want to stress her out if I can avoid it. I think as a last resort I will take her but I will keep the thread updated. Hopefully next week she surprises us with a little healthy kitten or two.

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been acting a little crazy today, one minute she’s all chilled out and the next she’s running through the house like a kitten chasing a mouse. Could this mean she’s coming to the end of her pregnancy and it’s just hormones etc or could it be the start of Labour?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say, but hormones can cause crazy behavior. It’s also possible that she has had a false pregnancy. Time will tell!

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I will have to call the vet tomorrow. I came home from work after a couple of hours and she no longer looks pregnant although she still has a bit of a tummy and her tummy has gone softer, no kittens in sight but her nipples and mammary glands are still big. She seems fine in herself except she’s grooming a lot not in any specific area and she’s still eating as normal 🤔

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I would do the vet visit and get an xray done. It could be a false pregnancy. If the kittens didnt make it the vet should also know. Then you will know and can get her booked asap to be spayed if shes not pregnant or has stillborns.

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve held off on the visit for now and just had a little phone call as when my partner saw her he says she still looks pretty pregnant to him and I also felt kittens move this morning when she was sitting on my lap. Vet says we should wait a few more days as it sounds as if she could be nearing Labour and a visit to the vet would only stress her out which could put her and the kittens in danger. Unless she displays worrying symptoms just monitor her at home and wait to see if the kittens are born. Think I’m just a a big worrier and hopefully he’s right and the kittens will be born soon. We will then have her spayed when the kittens are weaned.

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Socks went in to Labour at some point last night and had a single black kitten with a white mark on its chest. It’s much smaller than I thought but a healthy weight. I’m not sure if socks is feeding it as it’s been asleep since I got up but socks is still meowing quite a bit so I don’t know if that means she might still be having another. I don’t think I can feel anything in her tummy but only time will tell

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right on time and just as I thought - a singleton or possibly one more. Go ahead and set up mom’s spay for 8 weeks from now and enjoy this kitten. A large litter is a lot more work and much more expensive.

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes just the one, I’ve just got back from work and checked on her and she is still in the box feeding the baby. Getting her spay booked in for definite and going to enjoy watching this little kitty grow and have them fixed when they’re old enough also. Thank you for all the help and advice

lisaj2616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. The kitten is now almost 3 weeks old and I’ve noticed some strange behaviour from socks. I saw her grab the kitten almost in a hug and start biting around his neck and at one point she had his whole face in her mouth she was also rolling round with him in all sorts of positions. It looked very violent but I’m not sure if this is just play? He still seems so little for rough okay like this and I’m worried she’s trying to hurt him. Thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s trying to teach him manners and who is the boss, but when it gets this rough break it up.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s trying to teach him manners and who is the boss, but when it gets this rough break it up.
This is good to know I had the same worry when the kitten was trying to escape being cleaned by mum.