Calories Help please!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got a 10 cat household and must have medical conditions.
The current one that I'm mostly asking help about is now a heiffer.:(
He used to weigh 17, but got stomatits and had most of the teeth removed a few years ago. On only wet food, he actually went down to a healthy 13lbs. He's a big tom cat and that was a good weight for him.
Last year he was diagnosed early stage kidney failure. 1.5mo later he'd become sickly and needed lots of fluids every other day, lost another pound.
Up to this point he'd been in his own private bedroom cause he liked to pee in the house out with others. I've found they usually stop once diagnosed with this. He's my 2nd that's stopped peeing after diagnosis.
Anyhow! Since he came out he's been eating the dry food of the others. In fact, I can rarely get him to eat any wet food. But within 2mo he GAINED 5lbs! Stopped being dehydrated. Took him back to the vet to check. His numbers went back to dearly stage numbers. He no longer needed any subq's either.
But he's FAT! Vet said I should feed him less, but not how much.
I feed him Essence Ranch & Meadow dry kibble.
It's 421 calories per cup. And I feed him 1/3 cup in the morning and another 1/3 in the evening. It adds up to 280 calories is my math is correct.
And I read when dieting a cat, aim for 2lbs under. I'd read 20 cal per pound.
So a 15lb cat would get 300. If that's true, he's already 20 calories under.
Can a high meat protein food like Essence make a difference? Please help. This cat is SO fat and he needs to lose weight.😭

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So a 15lb cat would get 300.
Mr Captain was a little under 16 lbs. I'd calculated somewhere around 300 calories for weight loss, and my vet calculated that he could only have 230.

Stopped being dehydrated.
Is this one of those foods that creates an artificial thirst?

Anyway, since wet food seems to be out of the question, can you get him to exercise more? Such as following you while you hold his food bowl and walk around the room, then further distances etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exercise is definitely out. He's an old bum that doesn't run unless I'm chasing after to get him for the vets. Or when I needed to do fluids. My vet suggested I test his blood glucose level to rule out diabetes. He's at the high end of normal so well keep an eye on.
The food he was on (wet) was a Fancy Feast classic pages, when he was doing worse. I have a diabetic in remission and when she eats wet, that's what she gets. Since doing better and only on kibble, it's the Essence.
I will try and see if I canget him to move more playing. But doubt it. Her doesn't play long.
My vet got back to me tonight you say keep him at the 280 fornow and have him weighed every month.
But 280 calories is what he's been at for months and I told her that. That won't change anything.
So what did you settle on with your kitty & did it work? The 16lb one?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided to try their suggestion but had a heck of a time keeping the daily calorie count at 230, partly because he's supposed to be getting dental treats, but I did it often enough that he eventually lost some, and got down under 15. When the ounces are between 14.5 and 15 I'm happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I didn't even think about treats! Mine gets a 3rd of a Fancy Feast square to hide his Ondanestron twice a day. But I wonder if he even really needs it anymore? Since his other kidney signs seem to've gotten so much better. I think I'll try and cut that too. This is going to be rough. I used to free feed the ones out in the main living area with him. But won't be able to anymore. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See what the vet thinks about that med, don't go too fast with the weight loss, and all the best! Let us know how things are going :vibes::heartshape: