Calico tabby?

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a former horse girl I'm obsessed with knowing correct coat patterns, so I had to make a new post for my girl Keaton too see what her coat is considered.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've had a few varying opinions. I've even read somewhere that if a cat has Tabby markings at all it doesn't make them a calico? I'm not sure on the rules.

Attachments

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So cute and pretty!!!

Genetically this cat is a tortie (so she has both the red/orange gene and grey/black gene) with white markings (a distinct gene) and tabby patterning (also a distinct gene).
This can be called Torbie (tabby x tortie) and White or "Patched Tabby and White".

Calico is just a tortie and white so you could call her a tabby calico if you wanted.

I love color genetics so its never a dumb question. And horse colors are awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So cute and pretty!!!

Genetically this cat is a tortie (so she has both the red/orange gene and grey/black gene) with white markings (a distinct gene) and tabby patterning (also a distinct gene).
This can be called Torbie (tabby x tortie) and White or "Patched Tabby and White".

Calico is just a tortie and white so you could call her a tabby calico if you wanted.

I love color genetics so its never a dumb question. And horse colors are awesome!
Isn't she!? She's got one crazy cute personality too. I can't believe I found her at a shelter πŸ™

And thank you for breaking it down. Horses are really cool indeed! I'm obsessed still πŸ˜† It's so cool to read about. I especially love the orange in the mix!

That derp face in the bottom picture is so cute.

She is a calico. If she had only one taby colour it would be a tabby bi colour two or more is calico.
That's her in a nutshell. Such a silly bean πŸ˜†πŸ©·

What gitabooks gitabooks said. I call this combination torbie, too (my avatar Maddie was a torbie). Your girl is gorgeous!
That's very cool! I just found out my other kitten is a tour be as well, I'll be at I think a dilute version.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the pic with the derp face also has those adorable toe beans. she's adorable.
Her multicolor beans are the cutest πŸ₯Ί I really need to compile all the derps she's done so far, she's such a character.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a former horse girl I'm obsessed with knowing correct coat patterns, so I had to make a new post for my girl Keaton too see what her coat is considered.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've had a few varying opinions. I've even read somewhere that if a cat has Tabby markings at all it doesn't make them a calico? I'm not sure on the rules.
She has similar markings to my Calico Tabby and in the one pic, she has a faint traditional M tabby marking. I've asked several people who know cats breeds as well as multiple vets and they agree my girl is a calico tabby. Boy does she have the personality to match her beauty lol. One of the vet techs told me calicos, especially calico tabbies are the most feisty of all breeds, particularly the girls, and it's like they're bipolar with switching moods so fast. I know my girl Misha (9.5 years old) has such a unique personality unlike any cat I've ever known before. It like she's part dog, part human, and part cat lol. Good luck with your baby😊

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has similar markings to my Calico Tabby and in the one pic, she has a faint traditional M tabby marking. I've asked several people who know cats breeds as well as multiple vets and they agree my girl is a calico tabby. Boy does she have the personality to match her beauty lol. One of the vet techs told me calicos, especially calico tabbies are the most feisty of all breeds, particularly the girls, and it's like they're bipolar with switching moods so fast. I know my girl Misha (9.5 years old) has such a unique personality unlike any cat I've ever known before. It like she's part dog, part human, and part cat lol. Good luck with your baby😊
Ooh, another of Maddie's distant sisters! 😻

414655BB-8A13-44CF-976F-26F6D7FDDC36.jpeg

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, what a cute butt on her! I love how you can find so many similar looking ones when it comes to the Calico tabby mixes.
The gosh, do they ever have personalities! I have had two in my past growing up on a farm and they are honestly some of the most standout cats we had, this is the first time I had my own and she's definitely a whole quirky girl. Dog like too, I even have a normal kitten to compare to β˜ πŸ˜†

Ooh, another of Maddie's distant sisters! 😻

View attachment 461128
Oh what a baby! I love the blaze on her nose 😍

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww she's adorable 😻😻. What color eyes does she have? Misha's are like a light yellow with some green mixed in. They tend to change color depending on lighting and her mood lol.
She had the yellowy-green colour most cats seem to have. (She crossed the bridge in 2020.) They do look different with different moods and light, don't they?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, what a cute butt on her! I love how you can find so many similar looking ones when it comes to the Calico tabby mixes.
The gosh, do they ever have personalities! I have had two in my past growing up on a farm and they are honestly some of the most standout cats we had, this is the first time I had my own and she's definitely a whole quirky girl. Dog like too, I even have a normal kitten to compare to β˜ πŸ˜†

Oh what a baby! I love the blaze on her nose 😍
Yes, she was a pretty girl!

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had the yellowy-green colour most cats seem to have. (She crossed the bridge in 2020.) They do look different with different moods and light, don't they?
Oh okay. They sure do. I notice with the kittens theirs eyes go from extremes of brown, orange, amber, yellow and green, depending on their moods and lighting. Just when I think their eye color is finally done changing, they're a different color lol

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh okay. They sure do. I notice with the kittens theirs eyes go from extremes of brown, orange, amber, yellow and green, depending on their moods and lighting. Just when I think their eye color is finally done changing, they're a different color lol
Wow! That's more spectacular than any of mine! I've only had two cats who still had blue eyes when I got them, and they turned the standard green. One was black and the other a tuxie.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say she is a caliby with spots, lol. Tortie is very distinctive to me, small mottled patches of mostly red and black with the lighter cream added in in patches often. There was another cat I just commented on who I said looks more calico but she actullay looked more tortie than your kitty to me. She is a beauty 😻

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say she is a caliby with spots, lol. Tortie is very distinctive to me, small mottled patches of mostly red and black with the lighter cream added in in patches often. There was another cat I just commented on who I said looks more calico but she actullay looked more tortie than your kitty to me. She is a beauty 😻
A caliby!? Oh my goodness 😍😍😍😍😍😍 that's such a cute name for it! I googled the name and immediately nodded, that's 100% her. One of my favorite coats too πŸ₯Ί

I also find the name of my other girl is dilute torbie, even faded you can definitely see the black and reds in comparison to the Calico. I also think it's cute the tabby mixes all end with some iteration of "by". πŸ₯°πŸΎ