Calendula crème for cats?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! A few days ago I posted a pic of my cat miso who has a small wound on her head, looks like she ran into something. It was starting to heal by itself but she managed to get it open again. I think because it's near her ear and she likes to bonk her head against anything and everything, or she scratched it open while scraping behind her ear. I don't have a pet shop nearby for antibiotic salve but I do have calendula creme at home. The internet seems to tell me it's safe to use but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it! They sadly don't sell honey salve anymore near me which used to be my go to.

These are the ingredients btw
Petrolatum, aqua, lanolin, paraffinum liquidum, alcohol, Calendula officinalis extract, lanolin alcohol, polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate, cetearyl alcohol.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No, don’t use it. Your cat’s wound should heal up just fine on its own without any treatment. Just let it alone.

The more important thing to address is why it happened. Have you checked for fleas? Are her ears clean? Don’t attempt to clean her ears if not. I know you mentioned in the other thread that she is seeing a vet on the 19th. Just wait for that visit. You can do far more damage and irritate the area by trying to treat than if you just leave it alone. The only concern would be if she continues to scratch it open. In that case, if she were mine, I would still leave it alone until vet appointment.

People often want to treat minor wounds in cats because it make us feel better. But, for superficial wounds, it does not help and may hurt the cat to try to clean or treat.

Have you changed her diet recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. No, don’t use it. Your cat’s wound should heal up just fine on its own without any treatment. Just let it alone.

The more important thing to address is why it happened. Have you checked for fleas? Are her ears clean? Don’t attempt to clean her ears if not. I know you mentioned in the other thread that she is seeing a vet on the 19th. Just wait for that visit. You can do far more damage and irritate the area by trying to treat than if you just leave it alone. The only concern would be if she continues to scratch it open. In that case, if she were mine, I would still leave it alone until vet appointment.

People often want to treat minor wounds in cats because it make us feel better. But, for superficial wounds, it does not help and may hurt the cat to try to clean or treat.

Have you changed her diet recently?
Haven't changed her diet! She doesn't have fleas or anything and has had antiworm meds quite recently. We did find out that her back paw nails are quite long so whenever she does scratch her ear that's probably why it opens. Ended up speaking to the vet today and they did recommend the creme! I'll see how it is in a week or so to see if it clears up by itself first :)