Cage life for getting feral to domestic

2pomsandaferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, about two weeks ago I trapped a 6 month old girl who was pregnant. She then went to the vet for termination and sterilization and then came to my house. She was always so fun and playful on the streets and thought I’d try my hand at taking her so she can get adopted into a good home. Boy am I in over my head. First she got a bad upper respiratory infection then she got litter in her system and she had to visit vet twice. She is in my living room in a giant cage with a warm humidifier to help her heal up and she is indeed eating again. I have a small carrier in the cage so she can rest and heal up so that I can start working with her. She is still very scared of us and hides in the carrier most times. She isn’t aggressive at all just terrified still. Should I give it a few more days then work to get the carrier out? I have family coming into town and am about to have a houseful and thought it may be best to leave her alone through all of that? On the other side of that is my family are all cat people and maybe if I make her stay out of carrier they can help me work with her. I’m just super happy she is on the mend from her big surgery, her infection and her eating is back on track.
Thoughts for this girl who is new to the cat world but loves all animals below is a pick of this pretty girl Ms Susie Buttonnose

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles

See "feral cat hiding in new home" section

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

Not saying you cat was abused but there are some tips in here

You have really been kind to this cat and she is very lucky. I would not take the carrier away as it is her refuge. If you remove it, she may become more frightened and might seek out a new hiding place which could be much more inconvenient and even place her in danger. Since your family are all cat people they will understand that she is frightened and unsure right now and when they try to interact with her will not be overly enthusiastic. They can certainly try to work with her but caution them to do so on her own terms. Having a familiar and safe place to go will make her feel better. She might become more uneasy with a houseful, so the carrier will be her haven.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2pomsandaferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purrfect! My gut says leave her be for now. She has been thru so so much! The abortion, the spay, two vet visits and now a new home. I feel like this sweet baby girl is just on overload. I read someone’s thread where it isn’t a big concern about lack of exercise at this moment. I will stay the course for now. One last thing, what’s the deal with kitties grooming themselves. I thought it was something they always did but Ms Susie doesn’t groom herself at all. Is that a feral thing? Maybe she doesn’t know how? I can’t wait till I can kiss her And brush her pretty hair. Hopefully one day that will happen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is on overload, but in a good way and probably understands that on some level even now. Is she a big mess with matted fur or is the lack of grooming something that you have just noticed casually? It can be variable with cats. My own range from various degrees of moderate maintenance to meticulous grooming. I have also had the ones who never bothered. If this is not a big issue right now, I would probably not come at her with a brush just yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2pomsandaferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankfully she is not a matted mess at app just noticed she doesn’t wash her
Little kitty body like I thought. Ok I will leave her alone with the brushing. Not that I could get close enough to do it anyhow mostly just wondered. I’m not experienced with cats. I have two Pomeranians and she could care less about them thankfully

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is SO beautiful! (She looks like she could be the twin to Bowie - the kitty that's my avatar). How wonderfully kind of you to take such great care of her physically so there aren't any more "little Susie Buttonnose" kitties out there, but to actually bring her in and start working with her so that she can find a new forever home (is it possible she may already BE in her forever home?;) Sounds like she certainly bonded with - and appreciated - you!).

You're getting wonderful advice (and article suggestions) from fionasmom fionasmom . On this site you'll see that there are almost as many ways to socialize as there are site members. I've TNR'd and socialized (& just fostered in general) well over 100 kitties, and I can tell you that you don't sound in over your head. I know you feel that way right now - - but you're doing SO much right. So a few (if I can keep it to a few - I have a bad habit of writing novel length posts) thoughts/suggestions.

You mention she's in a large cage with a cat crate inside (that's exactly how we do a large number of our feral and less socialized kitties). I agree that I wouldn't just let her out. Right now she very likely needs that crate to have a place to go into and feel safe - - and while some people don't like crating, we usually do that initially too at the very beginning of socialization. It also keeps the kitties feeling more safe initially while also making sure that you're not hunting her down constantly to work with her. One thing you might add is putting a light sheet over the top of the crate - covering the top, and three sides (leaving the front uncovered so that she gets good airflow and it's not dark for her 24/7).

You said the crate is in your living room - - - is it possible to put the crate into another quieter room? Such as a spare bedroom? I know it's going to be a bit more complicated with visitors coming to stay - - but it would likely help her feel less fearful to be away from even more new people and all of the hubbub that comes along with family visits. And I'd definitely - since it's so on in the socialization process - keep the rest of the family from interacting with her. Even if they love cats, it'll likely just make her more nervous. And since they love kitties, hopefully they'll understand that.

And it sounds like your dogs are very sweet - - but they likely make her more nervous even if they are gentle. Dogs and cats can absolutely get along - - but right now she's figuring out what's safe. And keeping her life as simple and quiet as possible right now is best.

That said - - what will help is her is spending time with her, sitting with her (tall and loud = scary). Keeping away from anything that could be a predator (like a dog, or a human speaking at normal volume - particularly men) - fear of that is what's kept her alive. So it'll take her awhile to realize she IS safe where she is. I always approach the kitty's space quietly - speaking as sweetly and softly as possible (I usually leave a radio or tv on very low in my "socialization room" - it helps her get used to voices and has the added benefit of making "house sounds" that she's not used to). I spend as much time with them as possible when socializing - - - I sit with them on the floor, talking almost non-stop. I read my email out loud, talk about my work while I'm working on it - yes, I look like a nut, but it helps.

Another big help is getting her to realize you always come bearing gifts - - -the gift of wonderful treats. Alot of socializers (myself included) use what we all call "kitty crack." It's Gerber's 2nd Stage Chicken baby food (it's a flavor they love and it has no ingredients cats can't have - many other baby foods do). Note it's not meant to replace her food by any means - - but kitties usually just can't resist the (incredibly pungent) smell and will come to check it out. I offer a bit on a long spoon (I actually use a retractable spoon I found on Amazon - it extends to about 18 inches - so she doesn't need to come as close to try the food).

I know 2 weeks sounds like forever - but in the world of socialization it's not that long. Even if she's not feral (it doesn't sound like she's truly feral - - - she was too quick to trust you outside to be truly feral) - she's having to get used to a whole new world right now. I always say to people helps me to imagine how I'd feel if an alien landed on my lawn, plucked me up & brought me into their ship, all without speaking their language. Trusting would take some time (more than we humans like - speaking as a human who gets impatient heating something in the microwave because it "takes so long" :lol:).

So much for non-novel length. But keep at it! You're already doing a great job - - and I think you ABSOLUTELY have what it takes to make her life better!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All that was said above is very sound advice. kittychick kittychick added my first thought about covering the cage a bit with a light sheet. Let her have time to look out but cover things more if she seems nervous. Company may be a bit much at first. Grooming may be an issue from her being sick. Also just fear or maybe she didn’t have much mothering herself. She is in a whole new world filled with new sounds, sights and scents. Time, patience, care and love will get her through. I ALWAYS tell people who get a gut feeling that they should trust their instincts. Go slow, give her time, take your time. Just as she is learning her new world, you will learn about her. Every cat goes at their own pace. They do not view time as we do. Let her show you when she is ready for advances with her body language. When she looks more relaxed, I think you will notice. Bravo to you! You are doing great with her.:clap2::goldstar: She is a beautiful kitty and I love her button nose! When she is doing better, you may find that a soft brush is something she finds feels good and it may be a way of helping her to bond with you. No rush though. You have a lifelong friend now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NOT take away her carrier, it is her refuge, and a whole bunch of noisy people, cat people or not, will set her back on her socialization. cats are not social like dogs, and she is very much still in shock. Two weeks is not long at all for a feral cat, this will take months not weeks. She is taking the first step by eating, which is good. if you or anyone enters the room she is in, they should sit quietly by her cage and just talk softly to her. NO TOUCHING FROM STRANGERS, she may attack out of fear. She is still so scared she is petrified. She may be doing limited grooming at night. It sounds like she is coming around.you earn a cat's love and it is one of life's treasures! Bless you, for helping her, you will be rewarded!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the cage be in your bedroom when your company visits? I've used this typed of cage for one of my kitties and it worked well. I've also found having a cat in my room while I'm sleeping helps them get used to me when I'm not moving and am flat out, not standing.
And, when she's more relaxed taping a brush to a very long stick to brush her some- if it turns out she likes brushing- is a great way to bond. Even a toothbrush taped to a stick, with you on the other end, she will associate you with something good.
She's so pretty! It will be soooo rewarding to see her loosen up, even a little. You've done a wonderful thing for her!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondered how things were going for you and Susie Buttonnose. When you get a moment - would love an update. Don't forget we're here - and there's lots of caring from here pouring your direction!