Burnt paw

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Last night my 6 month kitten hopped up on the stove and burnt his paw. He didn't make any sound and was walking on it okay straight away, just licking it. I ran some cold water over it and had a good look but couldn't see any singing, blistering or anything like that and his paw was as pink as it normally is.
Today one tiny bit of one paw pad is peeling a bit. Does this need a vet visit? My plan so far has just been to monitor in case it starts weeping or looks infected and not to let him outside at all.
Thanks.

Sorry I've accidentally posted this twice and don't know how to delete one of the posts!

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is hard to tell from a picture. I am glad you are keeping the kitten inside. You should all the time. Not just for the kitten's safety, but also because your kitten is white. It puts him at a high risk for getting skin cancer. You might want to switch the cat litter to shredded paper if there is any kind of open wound on the paw at all. Cat litter might be a little rough and if there is any oozing, it can cause clumping of the litter to the paw. Are the kitten's paw pads normally pigmented dark like that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. If you mean are his bigger pads usually dark, yes they are. He's a grey and white tux so his paws match =) He is an indoor cat except for harness walking a few mins a day but I'll keep him totally inside til his paw is all better. I'm just worried about the white bit that is peeling at the top of the top most little paw pad.