Burned Footpad

rsimcox1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ten days ago, my cat Dusty jumped from my kitchen island and onto my electric cooktop. I was cooking at the time and so she unfortunately put a paw onto a hot surface.

I was very concerned at the time and so put water on it as well as aloe vera. She briefly seemed a little shaken up but quickly seemed fine. She was walking lots, jumping about and running around my apartment again in no time.

However, I noticed last night that one of her footpads is now pink (it was brown before). She isn't displaying any symptoms - a limp, for example, and it doesn't seem infected - but I am a little concerned.

Has anyone ever been through anything similar?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Leroy burned his paw as a kitten by walking across a scorching hot glass top stove. I ran cold water over his paw for a few minutes before putting him into his carrier and taking him to the vet ER for treatment. He was screaming in pain the whole time. The ER vet determined that it was a superficial first degree burn on the paw pad. She prescribed a burn cream for the paw. I followed up with the regular vet a week later. By then Leroy was still limping around and in a little pain, which he helpfully showed the vet by jumping off the exam table and screaming while holding his paw up:doh:

I wouldn't put anything on the burn. The skin needs to heal and anything like Vaseline or aloe vera can inhibit healing. Aloe vera can be harmful to cats if ingested as well. I recommend that you take your cat to the vet just to have the paw checked out. A first degree burn might heal ok without the need for burn cream but the vet should still take a look at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rsimcox1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Poor Leroy!