Bump on my cat’s nose, what could it be?

ilovecatssm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My sweet orange boi has had a bump on his nose bridge for as long as I could remember, we’ve always thought it was just the way he was born or a result of him being silly and possibly hitting his nose in something but what really got me worried was that one day it looked bigger than usual, and the thing is that sometimes it’s smaller and other times it’s bigger, not by much but I can personally see the difference as I always check it. The 1st photo is from 8 months ago; second is a few days ago and 3rd is a few minutes ago, so his bump kept changing size during that time and still does from time to time. He plays and eats and behaves normal as usual, sometimes his breathing sounds a bit like he has stuffy nose though but he’s been to the vet a few months ago but no comments were made on his nose or breathing so I assumed everything was fine, however his next appointment is in a couple of months and this will be the first thing I discuss with the vet about, but in the meantime I just wanted to see if any of you may have an idea about this.The 3rd pic is his nose right now
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_4857.jpeg
IMG_4900.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That nose shape is something I saw on so many cats in my life. So I think it is the normal structure of their nose bone. Probably, due to some factors, there are moments when that bump is much more visible.

This is a photo of my Freya in her carrier before a vet visit. You can see the same bump on her nose
Freya 20220513.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If the size of the bump seems to correlate with the times he has breathing that makes him sound stuffy, he could have some sinus issues that cause the mucus membrane in his nose to swell a bit. The bump could be anything from nasal polyps to excess cartilage. I would think a vet could do a simple head x-ray to see if anything shows up. Not saying it is of such an urgent nature that you need to take your cat in immediately, but I would certainly talk to the vet about an x-ray the next time your cat has a vet appt. If your cat is reasonably cooperative the x-ray could likely be done without any kind of sedation!!

I've seen similar posts on this site, so it seems pretty common. Sadly, most of the posters never come back to tell us what, if anything, the bump was from. That tends to make me think most never found an issue that they needed to be worried about. This one post had a lot of members commenting about their cats' noses (some included pics) all in the same thread, so I thought I would share that one with you just so you know you are not alone!
Cat hard bump on nose bridge | TheCatSite