Brush For Short Haired Cat?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be honest, I don't really brush my pets. Most of them really don't shed and I only brush them occasionally or after a bath. Very little fur comes off of Luna or Bosco when I pet or try to brush them. However!!!...Artemis is getting is fur all over the house. I've never had a pet that actually leaves tufts of hair around. It's on my clothes, furniture, everything. I pet him and hair comes off in my hand. But I don't have any brushes that seem to work well.

So two questions: 1) can anyone recommend a good brush to get all the loose fur off of him?
2) Why does he shed so much when my other pets (dog and cat both) do not?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use a soft bristle brush for my boy. Brush him everyday as he likes it.

Guess some cats shed more than others and also if your cat scratches himself a lot, lots of fur will drop off. Try brushing Artemis more often?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Zoom Groom and a knock-off Furminator for short haired cats. My boys shed SO much despite their short hair so once or twice a week I give them a quick brushing with each tool. Also have a soft-bristle brush that I'll use at the very end just to smooth everything out and make them look super spiffy.

And to your second question, I've heard that short hair cats shed more than long hair, since the life-cycle of a hair is shorter. Other reasons for losing more hair than your other cats might be stress, allergies, dry skin, or maybe just genetics. Good luck finding a way to stop/reduce the shedding!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three short haired cats that don't mind brushing, but I recently decided to order a grooming glove off of amazon after seeing all the positive reviews. My cats were a bit unsure of it at first, but they quickly got used to it. Since it is a glove it can contour to the shape of the cat and it is basically just petting them. I've been shocked by how much hair it collects even after just brushing them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I picked up a zoom groom today in part because of good things I was hearing about that and similar products like the glove, plus he wasn't tolerating the other tools I have very well anymore.
I was definitely impressed with the quantity of loose hair it got - not sure that he was exactly impressed but he did put up with it ...a win :yess: and in addition there is less static buildup which drove him nuts - there's still some which is easily addressed with a damp papertowel wiped over his fur a couple three times during the brushing session.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use a Love Glove. Amalie doesn't care what I use, as she even loves the FURminator tool.
We did try a FurBliss from Vetnique that was really nice

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As cat get older, they loose more hairs. I use a Furminator once a month (you have to be gentle with this brush) and i use their old flea comb every 3 or 4 days (they hate rubber brush). There ll always be hairs on your furniture and clothes...sorry. Buy different brushes, test them and use what they like. Also, I changed food last year and i saw a big difference...less hair loss and dandruff.