Bruising on neck after presumed blood draw

Delightfullyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been fostering a four month old kitten and he got neutered today at a mobile clinic through the foster agency. He came back with a circular shave on his neck, presumably either for jugular blood draw or for where the IV was put in (though I thought they did that on the paw?), but there’s odd bruising in an X formation around the site. Is this normal?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose there are still vets that use the jugular, and maybe there is a good reason for it when they do. I suspect since bruising happens with humans, it can also happen with cats. It typically can occur with the way the needle is inserted, and some medical folks are better at doing that than others, not to mention cats probably squirm more than most humans. There are also people (and most likely cats too) who just are harder to get a needle inserted. My husband gets bruises sometimes, and they usually dissipate in a few days, usually gone within a week.

Call the vet and ask about it and what you should look for if there were to be a problem. I think if you monitor it closely, you should find it dissipating a little bit each day.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They do use the juggular for blood draw. In fact, it is prefered because a cats veins are so tiny. It does look like they maybe had trouble getting a blood draw hence the multiple bruises.

If you are really concerned about it take him back to the clinic and see what they say.

An icepac wrapped in a towel may help the bruising go down a bit.