Bruising after blood work?

Kris&Orville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat too the vet yesterday. He is 9 and is usually well behaved but does not like being held or people but does not act aggressive just anxious.. again he is not aggressive so not scratching or biting for even as big as he is. He is a big baby.
I had them do a full panel blood test on him, and they came back in the room with him and said he did not like it ( of course not ) and let him back down.. I didn’t think much as they had him bandaged up ( his back inner leg is where they took blood ) he ran right back in the kennel and laid down. We finished up, I paid and left and I am awaiting results.. After a while my cat let me remove the bandage and it looked red and shaved and the next day.. I see this. And I have never seen this happen to any of my cats in the past. Wanted to know if this is 1. Normal , 2. Is this a bruise? 3. Should I be upset as I am worried and feel bad for him as he is my baby. He truly is the most well behaved sweet cat I have ever been around and had. It also is not dried blood either as I gently wiped with cotton with cool water and it wiped clean.
If anybody has some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou all.
BD2E36BE-A968-4EEB-9300-197C800AFD63.jpeg

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that looks like a bruise to me. As long as he's not acting like he's in pain, he should be just fine. It seems odd they're taking it from that spot, though. I'm sure there's other, easier spots to draw blood from on a fussy cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Yes, this definitely looks like a bruise. My cat vet draws blood from the neck usually and I have never had a bruised cat returned to me. My Jamie was there yesterday and he most definitely fights all veterinary procedures but has never been bruised. Having said that, I am also guessing that this is a bruise and not anything worse and, as such, it should heal.

I think that you should call the vet and ask about this. Be low key and nice, not accusatory, as you might get more information that way. It would concern me that a cat who is cooperative was bruised. Having said that, moving and jerking during a blood draw can cause what you are seeing quite commonly.

A few other members have had the same experience.

Is it normal to be this bruised?
Kitten developed a hemotoma after getting blood drawn

I do worry about a cat being handled roughly by a vet tech who might not be up to the job as this happened once to a cat of mine. Calling and letting them know that you are concerned about what might have happened might make them more careful the next time.