Brown spots on kitten's ear

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
My 4 month old kitten got these brown spots on her ear and at first they were sparse and lighter but now they are all gathered towards the top of the ear. The vet said it was some type of fungus and prescribed a cream and ear drops. Is it normal for the spots to move that way? (The hair on the ear is pushed down because of the cream)
IMG_20210521_132845.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look like a fungus, keep applying the prescription. It also could be sun damage, a sunburn that is healing. Allergies can cause brown discoloration too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!
The thing is I've been applying the prescription for almost two weeks now and it was supposed to be over in 10 days. I don't know if that's the way it's healing...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had ears that looked just like that, I always thought it was sun damage. It never bothered him, and he had it for over ten years with no bad effects.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet truly believes it is some sort of fungus, then it might be a good idea to call them and tell then what you are seeing. Perhaps, what they prescribed isn't the most effective treatment. Or, they may say it might not be fungal after all. Did they do a skin scraping to test for various types of fungus/bacteria?

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the vet truly believes it is some sort of fungus, then it might be a good idea to call them and tell then what you are seeing. Perhaps, what they prescribed isn't the most effective treatment. Or, they may say it might not be fungal after all. Did they do a skin scraping to test for various types of fungus/bacteria?
Got caught up with other stuff and didn't reply. After the medication period ended I bathed her and all the dark parts got soft and peeled off. She seems fine now however the hair on her ear doesn't seem fully grown but I guess it is to be expected. Thanks again!

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had ears that looked just like that, I always thought it was sun damage. It never bothered him, and he had it for over ten years with no bad effects.
I don't let her out of the house so it couldn't have been that. It's gone now so I guess it's okay?