Brought In Pregnant Stray- How Pregnant Is She?

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F8170D18-F080-4810-9B44-777566F62EEF.jpeg
D7AA4FE7-BC6D-4FFE-8850-CFC98E11B48D.jpeg
EC352890-FAEC-4570-A8A8-F7FAEFA2F01C.jpeg
A26733DE-2145-4667-B257-DFC6450B8489.jpeg
Hi. So I feed the cats in my area so they often sleep on my porch one I noticed was pregnant so I brought her in, turns out she’s super sweet. I haven’t noticed her before and all the other cats don’t let me touch them so I’m wondering if she was kicked out. Anyways, I’m trying to get an idea of how pregnant she may be if anyone has an ideas. She’s very hard to get pictures of she doesn’t stop rubbing on me so these are the best I could get!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It can be hard to tell from pictures because how big she gets depends on how many kittens are in the litter. The article that Furballsmom linked to is an excellent one. Your vet should also be able to give you an estimate of how far along she is. Can you feel movement yet? That means that there are about two weeks left before delivery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8E34CEDA-398E-4712-9FDB-5D23D95B19D2.png
Thank you so much! I’ll for sure read them now. I was also wondering what to do about fleas I read frontline was okay but I noticed a live one on her today and I gave her a dose on Saturday. But I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. And also I noticed some dry white crust on her nipple I’ll post a picture of that to see if it’s colostrum maybe?

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if this is colostrum in the picture. It i s on the nipple of a heavily pregnant stray cat that I brought in from outside. If it is how close does it mean she is to going into labor? Thank you!

IMG_3350.png

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 279388 Thank you so much! I’ll for sure read them now. I was also wondering what to do about fleas I read frontline was okay but I noticed a live one on her today and I gave her a dose on Saturday. But I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. And also I noticed some dry white crust on her nipple I’ll post a picture of that to see if it’s colostrum maybe?
Yes, I think it could be! This article: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? says that the colostrum could look white scabs. Milk production usually starts a day or two before delivery.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for the nipples to develop a waxy, flaky, crusty layer in late pregnancy. I don't think this is dried milk, because my cats normally get this before their milk comes in. I think it's simply dry skin. You can ignore it, or you can gently pick off the loose flakes. Some people use a little coconut oil or olive oil.

We can't tell from pictures how far along a cat is in her pregnancy. Some cats also look much bigger than others even if they are carrying the same number of kittens, because they carry the kittens differently.

If you don't have any information about when she mated, you will just have to be prepared for kittens, and wait and see.

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just sat with her awhile, she’s always purring so I wasn’t sure if what I was seeing was the babies moving or not but I 100% can feel one moving around in there! I’m more sure of that than I was of seeing it.