Broken nail

annasmithlollllllllllllll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20231030_222437.jpg

20231030_222443.jpg

Hey guys
So I noticed some dirt between my cat's toes(she goes outside btw). I tried to remove it but she wouldn't let me touch at all. Then I noticed that the nail was kinda broken. She doesn't let me touch it AT ALL. I read that I should clean it with warm water but again she wouldn't let me. I managed to sneek a pic when she was sleeping.
What should I do? Any home remedies ?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would make an appointment with the vet to get it cleaned up and to see how much damage is there.

I had a similar issue with one of my cats years ago and found he had ripped a nail out. The vet ended up having to operate and surgically declaw just that toe.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no home remidies for an infection that would reliably work for this, she needs an antibiotic to clear that infection out of her system. Infections are not something to mess around with, they can be life threatening especialy if they make it into the bloodstream (sepsis).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That looks painful. Don’t mess with it. She will clean it herself when it isn’t so painful. Keep her inside until you can get her to the vet. She does need to see a vet. It does look bad. Don’t use cat litter for now, use shredded paper instead. Litter will make it worse.
Is this the only nail like that? Check her over well for any other injuries. Check her teeth as well.