Bringing Home A Second Cat - Diary

ceku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

We've been feeding a stray (around 7 months - calico cat) outside of our apartment complex but weather got really cold so we decided to spay her and find a peaceful home at the beginning of January. But things did not go as planned and we couldn't find a home to her sadly.. Even though she is one of the most cuddly, loving and purring cats I have ever seen :(So I decided to take her as a second cat in our home as a last resort because we didn't want to release such a lovely cat back to streets again. Before I take her home she was administered her parasite shots, FIV, FCOV, FELV tests - which are all clear-

I have a 3 years old Scottish straight female (spayed) cat. She is a mellow, really shy and a skittish cat with no cat experience other than her litter mates. She gets stressed quickly (guests, sounds, children, vet visits etc) And to be honest I am a little bit afraid things will be bad for her... She is not a cuddly and purry cat, doesn't like to be petted but she follows around me whenever I go :) I am out of home at least 12 hours a day so I thought a friend will be better for her...

I've talked to so many friends, did lots of research online for bringing home a second cat. And I want to share my day by day experience in this forum in hope that this thread will be helpful for people who want to bring home a second cat. Also I will be really glad if you can help/ direct me if I am doing something wrong or missing with you valuable experiences.

Sorry for the long background post but I thought giving this information will be helpful. Thanks for sticking up with until here :)

DIARY STARTS HERE :)
Above contains background of cats :)
So here it goes :) I used abbreviations for EC: Existing Cat NC:New Cat for more clear understanding..

I also underlined places which stresses me or I think valuable information :)

Day 1:
I brought NC to home in the box and put her in the threshold. EC just looked and turned her back and walked away a little bit. Just as I thought thank god things will be good, EC started hissing NC but NC didn't do anything. After that EC ran away and hid under the bed which brought a pang of guilt to me :sniffle:

I brought NC to the room which is only for her accommodation played with her, petted her and went back to check EC.

EC looks frightened walks close to floor, I used valerian extract on her fur (which I think did not have any affect at all :ohwell:) But she got calmer and slept after an hour.
I tried to feed them behind the doors NC finished her food but EC got scared and ran away. She did eat some time later though..

Also I petted them without washing my hand for smell exchange. I put old bed, toys etc. of EC to NC's room for her to get accustomed to EC's smell.
After trying this smell exchange thing, EC started to ran away from me and pawed me a couple times so I stopped it for today. It doesn't matter where she is in the house EC is always looking at the direction of NC's door.

Day 2:
Slept with EC but I woke up a couple of times in the night and saw EC in front of NC's door.
I tried to give them food behind the doors in the morning. But they kept hissing each other. NC finished hers but EC didn't touch her food again :(

EC even hissed at me and pawed my ankles a couple of times which is really not her attitude towards me and this worries me. She is also a little bit agitated doesn't allow me to pet her, touch her..

I used "sock method" to exchange their smells. First I petted NC with the sock and put it in front of EC with a treat. She didn't like the smell at first but she ate the treat. After that I thought If I can not make them eat food simultaneously I should try feeding them on top of each others smell:think:. I put food bowl on the sock which contains NC's smell. And she ate from the bowl a couple of times :) But EC gets tense often after she gets the smell.

Day 3:
Will start tomorrow and I'm thinking doing the same stuff: sock exchange, mutual feeding behind the doors, spending time with EC a lot.
I'm also thinking of putting the cushion that NC uses outside for EC to smell it.. What to do you think about that?

And for day four I'm thinking about switching rooms for a short time..

I really appreciate your recommendations for day 3 or forth.

Thanks a lot for reading & suggestions:thanks:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are actually off to a good start. Slow introductions will be better in the long run.
One thing I've done, is "room swap". Let NC out to explore, put EC in NC's room (maybe with some treats) to get smells and such. After about an hour or so, swap back.

Redirected aggression is not unusual, don't take it personally. These things take time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four days is not near enough. It will take weeks to months for EC to accept another cat. NC will have an easier time because she is scared and the strange one, it is not her territory. It WILL happen it just takes lots of time. They may never be buddies but they will provide company for each other and relieve any boredom. I think it sounds like you are doing everything alright, continue what you are doing and ask us if you need help. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ceku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Four days is not near enough. It will take weeks to months for EC to accept another cat. NC will have an easier time because she is scared and the strange one, it is not her territory. It WILL happen it just takes lots of time. They may never be buddies but they will provide company for each other and relieve any boredom. I think it sounds like you are doing everything alright, continue what you are doing and ask us if you need help. All the luck!
Hi!
I know 4 days is not enough :) I'm using this thread as a diary to give information for future adopters and get help when I'm stuck. So I'll try to update this thread progressively:) Thanks

ceku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you are actually off to a good start. Slow introductions will be better in the long run.
One thing I've done, is "room swap". Let NC out to explore, put EC in NC's room (maybe with some treats) to get smells and such. After about an hour or so, swap back.

Redirected aggression is not unusual, don't take it personally. These things take time.
Hi there! yes I'm thinking room swapping on day 4, and I am glad to read redirected aggression will eventually fade out. I am afraid that this will be her habit or attitude towards me after that..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

We've been feeding a stray (around 7 months - calico cat) outside of our apartment complex but weather got really cold so we decided to spay her and find a peaceful home at the beginning of January. But things did not go as planned and we couldn't find a home to her sadly.. Even though she is one of the most cuddly, loving and purring cats I have ever seen :(So I decided to take her as a second cat in our home as a last resort because we didn't want to release such a lovely cat back to streets again. Before I take her home she was administered her parasite shots, FIV, FCOV, FELV tests - which are all clear-

I have a 3 years old Scottish straight female (spayed) cat. She is a mellow, really shy and a skittish cat with no cat experience other than her litter mates. She gets stressed quickly (guests, sounds, children, vet visits etc) And to be honest I am a little bit afraid things will be bad for her... She is not a cuddly and purry cat, doesn't like to be petted but she follows around me whenever I go :) I am out of home at least 12 hours a day so I thought a friend will be better for her...

I've talked to so many friends, did lots of research online for bringing home a second cat. And I want to share my day by day experience in this forum in hope that this thread will be helpful for people who want to bring home a second cat. Also I will be really glad if you can help/ direct me if I am doing something wrong or missing with you valuable experiences.

Sorry for the long background post but I thought giving this information will be helpful. Thanks for sticking up with until here :)

DIARY STARTS HERE :)
Above contains background of cats :)
So here it goes :) I used abbreviations for EC: Existing Cat NC:New Cat for more clear understanding..

I also underlined places which stresses me or I think valuable information :)

Day 1:
I brought NC to home in the box and put her in the threshold. EC just looked and turned her back and walked away a little bit. Just as I thought thank god things will be good, EC started hissing NC but NC didn't do anything. After that EC ran away and hid under the bed which brought a pang of guilt to me :sniffle:

I brought NC to the room which is only for her accommodation played with her, petted her and went back to check EC.

EC looks frightened walks close to floor, I used valerian extract on her fur (which I think did not have any affect at all :ohwell:) But she got calmer and slept after an hour.
I tried to feed them behind the doors NC finished her food but EC got scared and ran away. She did eat some time later though..

Also I petted them without washing my hand for smell exchange. I put old bed, toys etc. of EC to NC's room for her to get accustomed to EC's smell.
After trying this smell exchange thing, EC started to ran away from me and pawed me a couple times so I stopped it for today. It doesn't matter where she is in the house EC is always looking at the direction of NC's door.

Day 2:
Slept with EC but I woke up a couple of times in the night and saw EC in front of NC's door.
I tried to give them food behind the doors in the morning. But they kept hissing each other. NC finished hers but EC didn't touch her food again :(

EC even hissed at me and pawed my ankles a couple of times which is really not her attitude towards me and this worries me. She is also a little bit agitated doesn't allow me to pet her, touch her..

I used "sock method" to exchange their smells. First I petted NC with the sock and put it in front of EC with a treat. She didn't like the smell at first but she ate the treat. After that I thought If I can not make them eat food simultaneously I should try feeding them on top of each others smell:think:. I put food bowl on the sock which contains NC's smell. And she ate from the bowl a couple of times :) But EC gets tense often after she gets the smell.

Day 3:
Will start tomorrow and I'm thinking doing the same stuff: sock exchange, mutual feeding behind the doors, spending time with EC a lot.
I'm also thinking of putting the cushion that NC uses outside for EC to smell it.. What to do you think about that?

And for day four I'm thinking about switching rooms for a short time..

I really appreciate your recommendations for day 3 or forth.

Thanks a lot for reading & suggestions:thanks:
Hello ceku ceku , EC and NC, and welcome to TCS! You've come to the right place and hopefully you'll enjoy it here very much -- it's a great community of cat lovers from all over the world!
So far, so good as much as I have read; the only thing I would add is that I agree with the other posters (and yourself) that you're maybe going a bit fast. A lot of experts recommend a 2-week period of NC being in her own room and gradual sniffing and site-swapping and feeding within sight of one another during the end of that period or after. If you haven't already, I'd suggest watching Jackson Galaxy's great videos on YouTube and his "MY CAT FROM HELL" series on Animal Planet TV; his books are also wonderful including CAT DADDY and TOTAL CAT MOJO. Other cat behaviorists including Pam Johnson-Bennett also have wonderful ideas, but it looks like you're already following their suggestions. This is just to reinforce your confidence. Keep us informed, won't you? (And we love pictures here!):yess:

ceku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone thank you for your responses :) I'll continue updating you about

Day 3:
I switched rooms today, put some treats on NC's bed for EC to sniff and eat. They hissed and spat behind the doors again :( And I think NC frightens EC more in these hissing sessions :(

I can't make them eat at the same time :( NC eats but EC gets too tense and starts to smell the door. So I put her food bowl in front of the door anyway hoping that it helps? Do you think this will help? Also I realised EC became a little bit more affectionate to me than she used to...

I also found out that EC is stressed because there is blood in her stool. She always defecates with blood when she is stressed. I'll try to give her some olive oil today :( I feel down because of this and thinking sometimes If I did the wrong thing by bringing the 2nd one...

I also posted their pictures :)

EC (Ceku) is the white one and NC (Balım) is the calico :)

Cheers,
IMG_4142.jpg IMG_4392.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone thank you for your responses :) I'll continue updating you about

Day 3:
I switched rooms today, put some treats on NC's bed for EC to sniff and eat. They hissed and spat behind the doors again :( And I think NC frightens EC more in these hissing sessions :(

I can't make them eat at the same time :( NC eats but EC gets too tense and starts to smell the door. So I put her food bowl in front of the door anyway hoping that it helps? Do you think this will help? Also I realised EC became a little bit more affectionate to me than she used to...

I also found out that EC is stressed because there is blood in her stool. She always defecates with blood when she is stressed. I'll try to give her some olive oil today :( I feel down because of this and thinking sometimes If I did the wrong thing by bringing the 2nd one...

I also posted their pictures :)

EC (Ceku) is the white one and NC (Balım) is the calico :)

Cheers,
View attachment 217875 View attachment 217876
Oh, no, you did NOT do the "wrong" thing at all, ceku ceku ! You did a wonderful thing. Not only are you saving two precious lives, you are giving each of them a friend to play, be friends, and sleep with. Some people think cats are not social. They are wrong. Cats are very social! As for their feeding, if Ceku is "too tense" with the food so close to Balim, try moving the food back from the door a couple of feet. If she eats at this place, let her do that for a couple of days, and then gradually move her food a little closer every day or two; let her be comfortable with this, and gradually you are moving her closer to Balim. Do this again if she becomes stressed again.

They are beautiful! :winkcat::lovecat2:

Pudding2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just give them both a little bit of time to get used to their new circumstances. Experiment a bit and find out what makes them both a bit less stressed. Possibly let them both out into the common spaces, but don't try to force them to be together. Let NC explore a bit and perhaps EC will start to accept that there is a new addition to the household. NC will also be more relaxed after this and less inclined to hiss or growl at EC.