Bring A Male Cat Into A Home With Two Female Cats

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone I know is getting rid of their sweet and cuddly male cat because she said she doesn't give him enough attention and he poops on the floor in her room a lot. I'm considering bringing him into my home because its getting cold here with winter coming and he is a cat who enjoys the outdoors and I don't want her to just keep him outside because she doesn't actually want him. Now I'm hesitant because I have two female cats already, one is spayed, one is not. The one that is not spayed is a 4 year old Maine coon with an amazing personality but she's definitely a handful. I have put off getting her fixed because she doesn't really bleed when she's in heat or act like my other did before I got her spayed and I also don't want to risk her personality changing because of spaying her since she's older and not a tiny kitten. I was told thats the risk of spaying an cat when they are older, is this true?

Anywho, what will happen if I bring this male cat into my home? Will he be aggressive towards her because she still goes into heat or something? I just want to know what to expect before I bring him here. Anyone have any advice for me?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best to have her spayed before she gets too old, as the risk of reproductive diseases increases with age and you don't want her ending up needing an emergency spay at age 12, when she's less likely to survive :/. Age 4 is just fine for a spay.

I assume the male is already neutered? If not, have that done at least 2 weeks before allowing him near an unspayed female, because sperm can hide in the tubes for a while after neutering.

He may mount her when she's in heat, and she may pester him to do so, too. She knows he's male even if he's neutered so she might flirt a lot.

Females tend to accept neutered males more easily than another female, but you should still follow all proper introduction procedures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You make a good point. I didnt think of that. Now is it true that fixing her at this age will change her personality? I'm curious if this is actually a thing or if its just some nonsense that I keep seeing.

Yes, he is fixed already, so thats a plus. I hope they all get along well if I decide to take him in.