Breathing issues?

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I have an 18 month old neutered male named Post Malone. He has recently started sneezing off and on the past 3 days or so. Since he's been full grown he almost always has his mouth partially open and drools because of that. And now after the sneezing he will jerk his head and open his mouth. The only way I can explain is if you've seen videos of cats with brain freeze from licking ice cream. That's the face he makes after a sneeze.
The open mouth breathing has worried me but he is healthy and never wheezes or seems like he's struggling for breath. Any ideas? I'm getting him into our vet as soon as I can but I'd like an idea of what to expect.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I have an 18 month old neutered male named Post Malone. He has recently started sneezing off and on the past 3 days or so. Since he's been full grown he almost always has his mouth partially open and drools because of that. And now after the sneezing he will jerk his head and open his mouth. The only way I can explain is if you've seen videos of cats with brain freeze from licking ice cream. That's the face he makes after a sneeze.
The open mouth breathing has worried me but he is healthy and never wheezes or seems like he's struggling for breath. Any ideas? I'm getting him into our vet as soon as I can but I'd like an idea of what to expect.
Is he actually mouth breathing or is his mouth just open?

Most of the time, mouth breathing is an emergency for a cat.

If his mouth is just open all the time, it is usually mouth, teeth, or jaw pain, but can be other things as well.

Has he seen a vet since the open mouth thing started? If so, what did they say? If not, when was the last time he was seen?

As far as the sneezing goes, that could be a lot of things as well. Simple allergies, to a more serious respiratory infection - it is most likely easy to treat, though.

Just take it one step at a time and don’t get too in your head about anything until you hear what the vet has to say.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As moxiewild moxiewild says, sneezing like this, and even the open mouth immediately after sneezing can run the gamut from the very simple to far more complex issues. Don't waste time making that appointment, but it isn't a "run screaming to the Emergency Vet" issue, either. And do let us know what the vet says.