Breastfeeding one more time

BEEARE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth two 3 nice little kittens the first time she fed them until they were 3 months then she started stopping them from coming near her and now after 6 or 7 months she gave birth to another 3 , i know its normal for them to play with each other (the older ones with the new ones) but i am noticing that whenever my cat wants to feed her new kittens there is one of the old ones which is about 7 months old he comes over his mon and starts to suck for milk he even fights his siblings over the breast . I dont know why it just looks so weird because he is huge almost about her size i dont know why he is doing it . Should i be concerned? Or is it normal ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is being an older kitten who still wants his mama, but he is taking milk that the little ones need, so you need to put the older kittens in a separate room when mom feeds.

Your cat will continue to have back to back litters and you will be overrun with cats unless you get your mama cat spayed when the current kittens are 8 weeks old. In the meantime, she must not go outside or be near intact males or she will mate again.

Also, the 3-month old kittens need to be spayed and neutered now also. Believe it or not, but they can get pregnant at 5-6 months old themselves. Do you have a shelter or low-cost spay neuter clinic near you to do this? Or turn them in to the no-kill shelter so they can be fixed and vaccinated and homes found for them.

I can check for clinics near you if you post your city and state.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BEEARE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is being an older kitten who still wants his mama, but he is taking milk that the little ones need, so you need to put the older kittens in a separate room when mom feeds.

Your cat will continue to have back to back litters and you will be overrun with cats unless you get your mama cat spayed when the current kittens are 8 weeks old. In the meantime, she must not go outside or be near intact males or she will mate again.

Also, the 3-month old kittens need to be spayed and neutered now also. Believe it or not, but they can get pregnant at 5-6 months old themselves. Do you have a shelter or low-cost spay neuter clinic near you to do this? Or turn them in to the no-kill shelter so they can be fixed and vaccinated and homes found for them.

I can check for clinics near you if you post your city and state.
Thanks for your reply well I'm trying to get her spayed as soon as i can i will make sure of that i dont think its possible for you to find me a clinic near me ( i live in the middle east in a little city called saida in lebanon )although im so thankful for your help .
I try to get him away from his mom and her new borns when she's feeding but he looks at me like i took a toy from him . I dont want him to hate me but ill try to make sure that it doesn't happen again
Thank you again for your advice

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. So the behavior as such is normal, he nor she arent sick nor weird. :)

But this behavior here isnt what you nor we wish, so; isolate them during the feeding time. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps give him a little treat of his own to distract him during feedings so that he is less disappointed. He is still a baby so he does not understand. :)