Boy Kitty Intimidating Newly Adopted Pregnant Kitty

saresjcw02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I told my son we'd never have kittens from our own cat. But when a stray came to our door on Valentines day in the midst of an ice storm, I had to let her in. She was aged as between 6-8 months old, and low and behold, we figured out she was pregnant very soon after! She is now at least 65 days today per her Xray on 3/19 and is having 5 kittens. I've secluded her to our spare room because our 2yo boy kitty chases her otherwise. Do you think that's because she has smells he's confused by? He blocks her under my bed if she's out and about.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saresjcw02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to clarify that the boy kitty us neutered! We get all our cats fixed (as soon as they are able!).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your male cat is being territorial. It can take several months for a new cat to be fully accepted into a household by current resident cats. You’ll need to keep him away from the kittens for several weeks after they arrive, and then supervise carefully when he is allowed to meet them.

Cat pregnancy lasts 63-68 days, so I would say she is due any day now. Look for discharge, a mucus plug, milk coming in, and contractions starting as signs that labor is near.

Does she have a nest ready? You should have a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula on hand and a 1-2mL syringe in case there’s a runt who needs supplementing.

Do keep us posted! 😊