Bowie & I Need Guidance.

KennaLusk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new to this forum, and I really, really need help. I apologize in advance for this extraordinarily long thread, but I feel like in order for this to be fully understood, the whole history needs to be brought to attention.
Please feel free to skip to ** if needed.
Also, for clarity, the S.O mentioned has been familiar to Bowie his whole adoptive life.

So, I rescued most beautiful baby boy on the 6th of October 2015, His name is Bowie and he is half Turkish Angora, half Ragdoll. When I first brought him home he was so so teeny tiny, and horrendously dirty with not an ounce of anything medical. He was never given his shots and wasn’t neutered. He was the runt of his litter and the absolute sweetest, highly energetic kitty above all. He was born approx. 5-6 weeks prior to me adopting him so weened relatively young. He adjusted, really in what felt like minutes.

Unfortunately I had to move very unexpectedly, so we packed our things and went across the country. (May 2016) At the time of this move Bowie was a little under a year. When we finally arrived at our new home, he didnt eat for a day or two, (as was expected) and then we quickly picked up where we left off. He adjusted as best as he could this time around too, and I made my best effort to get him on the new schedule. Although he never showed interest in playing with any toys EVER. We tried everything under the sun. Due to the smaller space I was a bit nervous for his happiness regarding activity levels, but was relieved when he would wake me up at 3 AM with the crazy kitty apartment sprints. Haha!

Anyway, the first incidents occured when my S.O came to visit for the first time since the move. (July 2016) His behavior was unlike anything I’ve/We’ve ever seen before. Before this move he was around my roommate at the time, S.O & friends etc. and was always stellar. But now he seemed entirely confused. Bowie would look at him in such a domineering way, try to make eye contact, insist on affection, accept affection and then randomly nip and hiss at him. Despite Bowie’s hard, head-butting against my S.O, he would still get beyond weird! We didnt know what to make of it, and it only happened a few times at this point. A year and a half went by with Bowie only seeing S.O twice.

*in May 2017 After I finished school, Bowie and I moved back to California.

This was a nightmare.

Despite purchasing seriously EVERYTHING any PetCo/Petsmart had to offer for stress control, nothing had worked. He was devastated, and I was beyond heartbroken.

Finally touching back down in California, there was a rage-inducing mix up with our new apartment move-in date. Therefore none of our furniture was available, and Bowie and I had no place of our own to sleep. I felt powerless. Being our only option was my S.O’s place, I thought that it would be okay for a few days. I genuinely thought that this would be fine, because we had had some sleepovers here when he was a bit younger. So there was alot of traumatic movement for my little Bowtie in such a short period of time.

When we finally were able to move into our new place, I unpacked and placed everything BEFORE he had investigated for the first time. I could not stomach him being even more traumatized by movers and more loud noises. He just about yowled for weeks straight, but eventually calmed down.

** In late July 2017, I went on a two week trip to Europe, and during this time my S.O, was with him everyday with virtually no problem. After I came back was when things really took nose-dive. He was full on attacking boyfriend. His behavior was even scarier and anxiety inducing than before. And he began to attack me when he could sense I felt uncomfortable. We had no idea what to do other than to flee. He would jump up onto our bed and let out the most guttoral and terrifying yowl and lunge towards my S.O. I really mean vicious and bloody scratches and lunges toward my boyfriends neck and hands.

Absolutely terrifying.

The strangest part was that 80% of the time, Bowie was scary to and unchartable degree, and the other 20% he was ridiculously affectionate. His body language constisted of really discomforting stares, constant meowing, kneading hard surfaces and strange tail movements. He NEVER sprayed. I think all three of us were entirely confused. Other than the glaringly obvious fact he was intact, Bowie’s behavior was nearly undiagnosable.

I ended up getting him neutered September 2017. During this checkup we ran as many tests as we could and nothing came up abnormal. Months afterwards, he still showed major signs of aggression towards my S.O. thus far not too much has changed. At this point, our vet has given us a vial of “Kitty Prozac” or Fluoxetine to try, but that is honestly the last thing I’d willingly give to him. On the brightside, it has been some time since his full fledged assaults towards S.O, but we are still super cautious of my boyfriend being around. His behavior now consists of constant, CONSTANT meowing, extreme territorialism, harsh kneading, and being entirely disobedient and frustrating. His 180 has really made our living arrangement nearly impossible. I do not trust sleeping near him, and I cant put him comfortably in the master bath without him throwing his body against the door and screaming. This is really heartwrenching, and making me second guess my fit to be his forever home. I feel as though nothing I/We do will reassure him and comfort him in any sense. What should we do? How can I help him? Anything at all would help. I really need some light shed on this situation because we can keep living like this. I appreciate you taking this time to read all of this. Anything at all would help. Thankyou.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm so sorry your sweet, adorable Bowie, and you and your S.O., are under so much stress. I don't doubt it's all the changes over the past couple years that have stressed Bowie out. I was hoping you'd say neutering him helped.

Other members will probably reply with comments/suggestions. One I'm sure will be mentioned is Jackson Galaxy - My Cat From Hell Cast | Animal Planet. I've never seen the show, but it does get mentioned a lot with cats with behavioral issues.

TCS also has some articles that might have some tips you can try.
Cat Aggression Toward People
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

Please also keep an eye on any scratches/bites that break the skin, and if you suspect infection, get them checked out.
Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KennaLusk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goodmorning Rubysmama! Thankyou so so much for your thoughtful message, and great tips. I will be sure to check out those links.

Thankyou so much again.