Bottle kitten constipated after Albon - 3 weeks old

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a 3 week old bottle kitten. He has been with me since he was 4 days old. Last weekend/early last week he suffered with what I think was a bacterial infection that gave him nasty diarrhea. He was on Albon for 4 days and that cleared up, but he hasn't pooped since Wednesday (that deposit was still runny).
It's fairly normal to see things ... ahem ... slow down a bit, after Albon, so I wasn't worried for the first couple of days, but today will be the 5th day.
I've given him three tiny doses of cat lax to no avail.
I sat him in a warm bath last night for 10 minute (he was not a happy boy!)
I gave him a micro-enema of 1 cc last night
He actually acts like he feels fine. He's still eating, not lethargic, purrs when I cuddle him, etc., but it's been way too long. He does fuss when I stimulate him to poop, but otherwise doesn't act bothered.
I'll be calling the shelter as soon as they open, but their vet tech is not there this week, and they're more of a dog than cat facility anyway, and their vet doesn't have a very good track record with my babies.
I'm thinking of picking up a glycerine suppository on the way to work this morning. Has anyone used those? Any recommendations for or against?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glycerine is a good try. Cut out a thin sliver and put in.
3-4 drops of virgin olive oil with his kmr may help too.
Are you sure he has enough fluids?
With diarrhea he loses salts and water...
Flavorless pedialyte is good,

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with StefanZ StefanZ . Shave a tiny, kitten-sized piece of the glycerin off with a point and insert. It usually brings on a poop with stimulation in 20-30 minutes.

Then, as StefanZ StefanZ stated, begin adding 2-3 tiny drops of olive oil to each feeding. This tends to keep things softer and moving.

It’s not unusual for formula babies to become constipated, and good you dealt with the diarrhea with Albon.

Thank you for fostering!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update: I stopped for suppositories en route to the office and the store wasn't open yet. So on lunch break I went again, and in what must be the most dramatic of 11th hour poops in the history of 11th hour poops, he pooped en route to the store (unassisted no less!). So he dodged the humiliation of a suppository. He's now sleeping soundly. Hopefully we're around the bend now. StefanZ StefanZ and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Thank you both for your help!