Both of my indoor cats have diarrhea. What are some possible external causes?

donnatarttgf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As title says, both my indoor cats have diarrhea. They both typically have normal bathroom habits so this is unusual.

On Wednesday I received a bouquet of flowers (things like sunflowers and carnations mildly toxic, no lilies or anything bad) and on Thursday the diarrhea started. I'm suspicious that they might have gotten into them, but I would like to hear other possible external causes that could cause two cats in the same house come down with diarrhea at the same time-- in other words, causes like worms, eating flowers, etc, not systemic problems.

The fact that it's happened to both of them clues me in that it could very well be an external cause.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why you're dancing around it. It sounds like you already have a good idea of what caused it.

Carnation poisoning in cats is a mild toxicity caused by the ingestion of the stem, leaves or petals of the carnation plant. Carnations are only mildly toxic to felines causing clinical signs of gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Source: Carnation Poisoning in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Remove the flowers and give them a day. If they are still off tomorrow, take them to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Not only the flowers, but could they be drinking the water from the flowers, given that this is ongoing?

If they both eat the same food, it could be contaminated bag/cans, or beyond the expiration date? Same thing goes if you use additives to their water, or perhaps bottled water that is contaminated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnatarttgf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know why you're dancing around it. It sounds like you already have a good idea of what caused it.

Source: Carnation Poisoning in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Remove the flowers and give them a day. If they are still off tomorrow, take them to the vet.
Thanks. I was looking for alternate ideas of potential other toxins around the house that need to be removed. I got rid of the flowers and have been in contact with my vet.

Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnatarttgf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: Not only the flowers, but could they be drinking the water from the flowers, given that this is ongoing?

If they both eat the same food, it could be contaminated bag/cans, or beyond the expiration date? Same thing goes if you use additives to their water, or perhaps bottled water that is contaminated.
Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep looking for sources that relate to something 'bad' or contaminated. It is so unlikely that both would coincidentally be 'allergic' to any of the one same thing. I suppose it could even be something wrong with the litter, perhaps??