Bobcat in my cat?

SteveL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive often wondeted if my miss jinx might have had one of our area bobcats as its daddy. We live out rural and she was rescued as a small kitten when her mom abandoned her on our farm. Sweetest cat ive ever had with tons of personality..and a love for her kitty treats. Perfect even tabby markings with the yellowish belly.
20201224_190345.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Jinx is beautiful! There is anecdotal evidence of interbreeding but no proven evidence. The gold color can come if she had any parent with that color. I have some golden tabby cats too. I also have some extra large kitties that are rescues. I may never truly know the lineage but Beautiful fits and Miss Jinx definitely has that gene. ;) Great photo!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely, and that's such a sweet picture of her :redheartpump:

I would describe Jinx as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. The orange tones on her belly are normal for brown tabby cats.

Do you have more pictures of her? She appears quite powerfully built in this picture. It's possible she may have ancestry somewhere in her family tree from a massive breed such as the British Shorthair or Persian.

We can be pretty sure that she is not a bobcat hybrid. Even though bobcats have been occasionally observed to mate with domestic cats, there is no documented evidence that kittens have ever resulted from such matings. DNA tests of alleged bobcat hybrids have failed to show any bobcat markers. It is believed that the two species are not compatible.