Blood in urine after enema normal?

NadiaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! New here so hopefully I’m doing this right. My 16 year old cat had an enema yesterday and blood work. We found out she has kidney failure.
Side note: A budget friendly list of recommended foods and supplements would be appreciated :(. I’m calling the vet later as they aren’t open and after hours people weren’t much help. If any of you have any experience with this, is some blood in urine normal after an enema? She was very stressed so I’ve read that stress can cause blood in urine as well. Her pee was clear before going to vet and I know this because she missed her cat box and I had to clean it up with a paper towel. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry about the difficulties your girl is having. Are you positive that the blood is in the urine? Could it be from hemorrhoids which can accompany constipation and some of the issues related to it. That is just a guess. But, I believe I recently saw another post on here about the same thing, and I am looking for it now.

In the meantime, you might find some helpful information on kidney issues and nutrition on this web site:
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis :<

I can't imagine any blood in urine would be considered normal post-enema, but it could definitely be related to her kidney problems. Some level of bloody urine can be caused by prolonged stress, but considering her recent diagnosis, definitely let your vet know about what has happened, and see if they have any immediate advice -- they'll know best, since they'd presumably have recent bloodwork from your kitty.
With foods, the conventional wisdom, based on the vet literature I've read, says that you're best off transitioning to a grain free high protein wet food, as that is generally easiest on the kidneys. That being said, if you have concerns, you can always ask your GP vet to refer you to a vet nutritionist -- it's always best to be careful transitioning a kitty with kidney issues.

Edit to say that as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has said, can you do anything to check the source of the blood you found? Did the vet mention anything about hemorrhoids after they gave her the enema? Regardless, imo it's best to let them know and ask for advice. Do mention that you're unsure if its bloody urine or not, if you're unable to confirm, as the vet's advice may change, depending.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would agree that blood in her urine should not be a side effect of an enema, but could definitely be from stress. If it continues, you definitely need to check in with your Vet because she may need some medication to calm her bladder down.

As far as kidney foods, I've had three kidney cats and want to say that none of them ate the prescription kidney foods. We did, however, try to find foods with lower phosphorus, and used the chart on the above referenced website to find those foods. Also, wet food, with extra water added, if the best thing you can feed kidney cats since they need as much hydration as they can get.

Just to make it easier, here is the exact page of that website that discusses food. http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa The food chart is in order of the percentage of phosphorus, which makes it really easy to use. Try to keep the phos. under 1.0%, although our Vet told us that the main thing is that they eat. Some of the foods we fed were 3.2% phos, and others were .6%, so our Vet said in the long run they would average out ok. If your girl is a picky eater and dead set on eating whatever she is eating and it's high in phosphorus, your Vet can always give you phosphorus binders to help out. We never needed them, but your Vet can make that call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. You have given me some things to consider. I never thought of hemorrhoids or even a pet nutritionist.I’m so overwhelmed with everything I’m reading and learning. I did call the vet’s office and they feel that given how incredibly stressed she was it could be that that’s the cause. She was prescribed antibiotics. I have obtained copies of her labs as I want a different vet to provide me with more feedback. I wasn’t too impressed with this vet and I want more dialogue regarding proper nutrition for her kidney failure. She seems to be a tiny bit better now and not running in and out of her box, but I’m watching her closely

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would agree that blood in her urine should not be a side effect of an enema, but could definitely be from stress. If it continues, you definitely need to check in with your Vet because she may need some medication to calm her bladder down.

As far as kidney foods, I've had three kidney cats and want to say that none of them ate the prescription kidney foods. We did, however, try to find foods with lower phosphorus, and used the chart on the above referenced website to find those foods. Also, wet food, with extra water added, if the best thing you can feed kidney cats since they need as much hydration as they can get.

Just to make it easier, here is the exact page of that website that discusses food. http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa The food chart is in order of the percentage of phosphorus, which makes it really easy to use. Try to keep the phos. under 1.0%, although our Vet told us that the main thing is that they eat. Some of the foods we fed were 3.2% phos, and others were .6%, so our Vet said in the long run they would average out ok. If your girl is a picky eater and dead set on eating whatever she is eating and it's high in phosphorus, your Vet can always give you phosphorus binders to help out. We never needed them, but your Vet can make that call.
This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you!!!!! 🙏🏼