Blood in Kitty Litter?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old cat Smoothie was spayed 11 days ago. We were going to get her stitches out yesterday, but we are having to wait until Monday which will be 13 days post-op.

The kitty litter we use is a mixture of the clumping and crystals, so you can sometimes see the color yellow while changing it. Well, this morning while cleaning there was a pee spot in the clumping area where you can’t see the color. It was dark but I figured that she must have just recently used it. Underneath the clumping litter was some of the crystals, and I could have swore that I saw reddish pink on one of the crystals. I am now concerned that she may be peeing blood. She is acting normal, eating, drinking, and wanting to play. She does not seem like she is in pain.

I made this thread for advice on how to tell if there is blood in the kitty litter. Next time, I want to be positive so I will know if I need to take her to the vet or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, if I find she is peeing blood, what would be causing it??? Would it be related to the spay surgery? I am very worried.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With a recent incision, although by now it should be healing up, it is possible that the blood is from the surgery. You could also be at the beginning of a urinary tract infection, so you need to continue to watch her to see if this escalates. Another possibility is blood from the rectal area which would usually be found with poop. The reasons for this can range from straining to more serious conditions.

Watch for frequent litter box use, attempts to pee outside the litter box, going to the box frequently but straining with little pee coming out. If she seems okay over the weekend, you should still mention this to the vet on Monday.