Purraise
Hi everyone!

My apologies for the graphic pictures.

-Cece, 4y/o spayed female
- indoor only
- no known medical issues or dietary restrictions
- UTD on vaccines and flea meds
- acting normal but maybe not eating as much as

My cat Cece has been having these poo’s for the last 5 days (once a day). There’s a significant amount of blood in them and the poop almost looks like it has a waxy film over it? It also has a gnarly smell. She has been eating the same food for years and this has never been an issue.
I have another resident cat who is not having this issue. I also foster as well and the kittens I have do not have this. All foster kittens have been fecal tested and everything came back ok.
I called my vet today to request an appointment but I will be worried in the meantime.
Has anyone experienced anything similar or know what could be causing this?
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5878.jpeg
IMG_5890.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you already called and scheduled an appointment with your Vet, do you think they might accept these photos ahead of time to see whether or not they need to try to squeeze you in sooner? In two of the pictures it looks like there is some diarrhea as well, is that right?
Stress can cause this issue, along with parasites, and/or food intolerances. I know you said she's eating the same food as always, but sometimes cats can develop sensitivities to foods they have eaten for years.

Is it possible the foster kittens are stressing her? Is this the first time you have fostered other cats/kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olliecece

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you already called and scheduled an appointment with your Vet, do you think they might accept these photos ahead of time to see whether or not they need to try to squeeze you in sooner? In two of the pictures it looks like there is some diarrhea as well, is that right?
Stress can cause this issue, along with parasites, and/or food intolerances. I know you said she's eating the same food as always, but sometimes cats can develop sensitivities to foods they have eaten for years.

Is it possible the foster kittens are stressing her? Is this the first time you have fostered other cats/kittens?
I emailed them to my vet, they are just closed right now!
They are all diarrhea, but have this weird coating on them. As soon as you touch it, it opens up and is diarrhea. Very bizarre.
I have been fostering for 3 years now… mostly doing neonates so it probably is not that… but it definitely could be the food. I saw lots of people posting about how food sensitivity started later on… thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be mucous that is more or less 'holding' the diarrhea together. Are her normal stools darker in color, perhaps from the coloring of her food? I only ask because dark blood is usually from the stomach or upper intestines, whereas brighter colored blood is typically from the lower intestines (or anus). I see some of what looks like brighter colored blood, but if her food doesn't normally cause a dark colored stool, then there could also be blood related to her stomach and upper digestive tract. The combination is a bit unusual from what I have seen, FWIW.

As long as nothing drastic changes about her otherwise, this isn't traditionally considered an emergency. Hopefully, the vet can get you in sooner rather than later!