Bloated belly while on metronidazole?

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. My 4 month old kitten is on metronidazole to treat clostridium perfringens. It's been rough on him. He's on day 6, but he's been eating much less than normal, is very lethargic, and just sleeps most of the day. I noticed that his belly is very bloated, despite not eating that much. He's still pooping and peeing regularly, and they look ok now.

Is this a side effect of the antibiotics? I'm getting worried, and really want him off these.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I believe Metro can cause some lethargy and inappetence, but not sure I have heard of belly bloating. I think if I were you, I'd call the vet and tell them about it. Maybe the dose is a bit high? Better to be safe than sorry for not reporting it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, the bloated belly can be a sign of some more serious problems. A cat that age should not have a decreased appetite. The usual time for treatment is a week. I would get your cat seen by a vet asap. You need to rule out that there isn’t something else going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, the bloated belly can be a sign of some more serious problems. A cat that age should not have a decreased appetite. The usual time for treatment is a week. I would get your cat seen by a vet asap. You need to rule out that there isn’t something else going on.
I'm pretty sure decreased appetite is a side effect of the antibiotics though.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m just concerned about the bloated belly mostly. Can you post a picture?

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tide is really turning against using metronidazole for things like this. It can often do more harm than good by disrupting the normal intestinal bacteria. In addition, C perfringens does not usually need to be treated at all, especially if asymptomatic. It is a normal organism in the GI tract of many cats (not sure of the percentage but it's significant). What were your cat's symptoms before being given the metronidazole? Maybe you can discuss better diagnostic and treatment options with your vet, depending on his symptoms. If there were no symptoms then I would ask your vet why he needs any treatment in the first place, despite finding the C. perfringens.

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tide is really turning against using metronidazole for things like this. It can often do more harm than good by disrupting the normal intestinal bacteria. In addition, C perfringens does not usually need to be treated at all, especially if asymptomatic. It is a normal organism in the GI tract of many cats (not sure of the percentage but it's significant). What were your cat's symptoms before being given the metronidazole? Maybe you can discuss better diagnostic and treatment options with your vet, depending on his symptoms. If there were no symptoms then I would ask your vet why he needs any treatment in the first place, despite finding the C. perfringens.
He had diarrhea constantly. Something needed to be done for that.

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
p.s. Meanwhile what you can try is to ask your vet about giving him a good probiotic. Most are OTC, you don't need a prescription. That will help undo any damage the metronidazole is doing.

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, our messages are crossing. Some here have had really good luck with a probiotic like S. boulardi for diarrhea. And you can try changing his diet. Ask your vet about a possible dietary change to see if that affects anything. How long has he had the diarrhea? Did it go away on the metro?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. There is a Facebook group called FIP warriors that you might want to check out.
I am so sorry.

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anybody know how contagious this is? Our other cat is vaccinated for the coronavirus. I'm really worried about him now

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. There is a Facebook group called FIP warriors that you might want to check out.
I am so sorry.
Thank you. Do you know if kittens being cured with what is being discussed?