Blind Kitten Eating Litter.

O-R-L_MAMA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a week ago I started fostering a kitten roughly 6 weeks old. She's been doing fairly well on her own, she's able to eat and drink by herself at this point. Unfortunately that's not the case with litter training. I tried yesterday's news at first but she kept trying to eat it. I switched to a clay litter, hoping she just thought the other stuff was food, but she started eating this one too. The man that brought her to me said she was eating litter there as well. I'm not sure what else to try at this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is why its so important to use non clumping litter...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating litter is frequently caused by an iron deficiency. Ask the vet about a safe supplement for her.

And, yeah, use a litter that won't gum up her insides if she eats it.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Yesterday's News and the non clumping Clay litters are recommended for kittens? What litter do you think is good?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

O-R-L_MAMA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's currently getting pet tinic twice a day. Right now I just put a rag where she frequents the most and change it out.

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that people typically recommend to stay away from clumping litters, both clay and other types, until they are over 4 months old. Young kittens specially at 6 weeks of age, are curious and will explore using their mouths. Hope your foster is doing well and/or found a furever home!