Bleeding In Pregnant Cat

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just looking for a little advice please. My cat is currently around 58/59 days pregnant and today has been loosing a little blood. She seems well in herself, eating and drinking normally and doesn't seem upset or unsettled by this. It's not heavy bleeding, just spotting but has been happening for the last 6 hours or so on and off. Wondered if anyone else has any experience of this or any useful advice please ?
Thank you x

gtmoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What color is the blood? Bright red? Does it smell bad?

Usually if it's fresh blood it's not a big deal, especially if it's just spotting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it's fresh red blood and no odour as far as I can tell. I'd estimate that's there's been around 10ml or so loss in total. It's her first litter and she's not very big and it comes concerned me that she's a little early as well as the spotting

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Are you able keep her 100% inside and away from intact males?

gtmoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10ml seems like a lot. My first foster had some bleeding about a week before she gave birth. I took her to the vet and he said she probably popped a blood vessel. Having no odor or off color is good though since that indicates it's probably not an infection.

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's almost 2 years old and she was 100% an indoor cat but got out and became pregnant. I thought perhaps it was the beginning of labour but nothing else seems to be happening and she's very comfortable and content. The spotting appears to have stopped for now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Hope for the best but be observant. Red colored discharges are common, fresh blood may be potentially alarming. Yet usually it goed ok without problems.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good the bleeding has stopped. If it starts again and is heavy (10 mLs is heavy), please get her to a vet.

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will indeed....when I say 10mls that was one or two drops at a time over about 8 hours....if it had been 10mls all in one go then she would've been at the vets immediately ! Thank you everyone for your advice, it's much appreciated

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's fine thank you...I've had young children visiting today so she's been in my bedroom with food, water, litter tray and nesting box and lots of peace and quiet - been checking on her regularly and no more bleeding seen so hopefully she will hang on a few more days till she's due to give birth because she's not actually due for 3-4 more days yet

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's almost 2 years old and she was 100% an indoor cat but got out and became pregnant. I thought perhaps it was the beginning of labour but nothing else seems to be happening and she's very comfortable and content. The spotting appears to have stopped for now
Yes, unfortunately cats are quite good at these escape acts. Do you plan to spay after this litter has weaned? If so, it might be worth making an appointment for two months from now.

Glad she's doing well now.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear she's doing well. Hopefully she will hang in there a few more days! :)

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately cats are quite good at these escape acts. Do you plan to spay after this litter has weaned? If so, it might be worth making an appointment for two months from now.

Glad she's doing well now.
Yes she will be getting spayed once the kittens are weaned, I have homes lined up for them with friends/family so will be able to see them grow but this will be her only litter

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she will be getting spayed once the kittens are weaned, I have homes lined up for them with friends/family so will be able to see them grow but this will be her only litter
That's great. Kittens should stay with mom until at least 10-12 weeks old. Please be sure that their owners will spay/neuter and not declaw.

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to update everyone on our situation, we had no more bleeding and puss went another 9 days before going into labour. Lots of movements felt prior to this and all was going smoothly. Sadly the kitten was stillborn and we're all devastated but doing our best to show Momma cat lots of love x

LorraineWrighto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I thought it very unusual too so went to the vets for a check up and the vet thought she could feel another kitten so they were all set to do a caesarean but I asked for an ultrasound first before she went to theatre and there was no kitten. Glad I stuck to my guns and asked for it or she would've gone through all that for nothing, like she hasn't been through enough x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good for you for insisting on the ultrasound. That should have been a given. Geez ...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does mom have milk?

You could foster orphaned kittens from a local rescue if you feel that your cat is up for it. It may help her.

Call around and ask!