BLeached toys

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats favourite toys was quite dirty and without thinking I used bleach to clean it. I used quite a bit as the grime was really stuck on. The bleach I used is "lysol bleach multi purpose cleaner". Once the toy is completely rinsed and dry, is it safe to give back to the cats? It is a plastic puzzle feeder toy.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it doesn't have a strong bleach smell, it'll be okay.

It's okay to have a little whiff of bleach but if you smell it and go, "Ick!" it's not okay.

Besides, if the cats think the toy smells bad they probably won't play with it, anyhow.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If you're unsure why take a chance - my motto is, "when in doubt throw it out."

When I looked the product up it said: Many Lysol products, like most common household cleaning products, can be toxic to pets. For example, Lysol can contain ammonia, bleach, and phenols, which are all toxic ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's (to me) an expensive toy, so replacing it is a bit of a big deal so it's not as easy as just get a new one unfortunately. </3 It's in the garage right now because the dogs kept sniffing it. I left it outside a few hours in the rain, now it just smells like petrichor, no bleach smell at all. I'll wash it out again in a few days with dawn dish soap and let it dry again just to make sure it's all gone. I am super paranoid about things like this and if I just threw out everything I was worried about the cats would have nothing. :')

Thank you! <3

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like you said, you washed and rinsed the toy well. If it doesn’t have a strong chemical smell it will be okay. If the cats don’t like how it smells they won’t play with it.

I think you should be okay.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat will be more upset that it no longer smells of "eau de chat" anymore honestly.

Shelters wash and bleach everything between cats to prevent diseases. It will be fine.