black stool in very senior cat

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my black & white 'tuxedo' jellicoe is now approaching 19; his 'stools' are runny & black. once a day. the Vet told me to give him laxatives in his meals and...to feed him only the pate type of food [i give him a joint supplement once a day; he has difficulty jumping up onto the couch]. i also give him bits of smoked salmon in an attempt to supply him with Omega-e. he no longer grooms & cannot retract his nails (i have given him a bath lately - he has dandruff); i trim his nails. he still uses the litter successfully; he sleeps most of the time; his eyes are clouded; he's increasingly eating - rather hefty now; he doesn't cry or yowl & doesn't seem to be 'lost'. do the stools mean he has cancer? is he in pain? i hesitate to put him down if i don't have to. any advice would be warmly appreciated. [his sister died at 17 so i brought a new kitty into the house; she's 2 years; they get along well for the most part altho' she keeps wanting him to play]. they are both indoor cats. thanks!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, black stools are generally caused by ingesting something that would cause the stool to darken or blood coming from someplace higher up the GI tract. That doesn't necessarily mean cancer, though it does sound like your boy needs some additional testing to find the cause. I hope everything is okay. I'm sure people with more knowledge on cat health will answer later. I just didn't want you to feel alone out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for caring! i know there may be 'additional tests' for him but...i can't afford much. i was just hoping he was comfortable and that i could continue to keep him, more or less, happy. i am retired, at 76 & like to think i am treating my dear kitties well. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am confused. Did the runny and black stools occur after the vet told you to start giving him laxatives? Was he constipated before that? Runny stools can occur in a cat that is being given laxatives when they are not needed, or if they are being given too much. Cloudy eyes might mean he is losing his eyesight and cats can adapt, but it would be helpful to know what might be causing the cloudiness. A hefty appetite could mean he has hyperthyroidism or diabetes - both of which are treatable.

Can you afford to get a senior exam done including senior blood tests? That could tell you a lot in terms of what might be going on and there are so many things that are treatable, so it could give you some options to consider besides putting him down.

I have a 19+ yo kitty that Iam treating for a number of issues, and don't want to put her down, so I totally understand.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Black stools are a concern as his body could shedding red blood cells into the stool from anemia or other a disease process. I have had cats with cloudy eyes caused by cataracts but it can be from other causes.He needs to have senior blood work to determine what is going on with him. Many vets do understand financial concerns, but an exam and bloodwork will most likely be very necessary to assess all the issues listed above.