Black poop

Jasmine1234Iloveyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I got a new kitten a week ago and his poops have been very dark almost black! He has been to the vet twice and does unfortunately have tape worms and has been given two types of dewormer and will get his second dose in 2 week (as he was seeming to have a good amount) I am feeding him purina pro plan wet two times a day and Acana dry for snacking. When I open his poop it is a lighter brown color however I don’t leave the poop I clean the box twice a day! The vet said we should relook at the poop after the dewormer is done but I am still worried about it:/ he has had some normal colored poop but most have looked like this. Any help please or if anyone has experienced the same thing. He is 2.5 months old and acts like a normal kitten!

Attachments

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there I’ve never since cat pop that dark ever before . I would just go by what your vet said tbh or what I would kinda do get a second opinion . But that’s just me . Then go from there honesty . But it’s up to you I’ve never had to deal with my furbaby having worms what so ever . Guess I’m kinda lucky . I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help I wish I could .

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The dark stool indicates possible blood from somewhere before the lower intestines (colon). I am not sure where tapeworms attach themselves within the intestine, but it could be the issue. Make sure he has no other forms of worms too.

If you changed his food, that can also cause blood in the stool while a cat's body adapts to the new food, so take that into consideration.

For now, since your kitten is acting fine otherwise, follow the vet's instructions and see what happens. If anything changes in his behavior in the meantime, call the vet to report it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I'm sure your vet would know best but sometimes black poop is a sign of blood in the upper GI tract. The black color can also mean that the blood has been digested, especially if the poop is shiny or sticky. Did you notice any black substance in the litter box too? Please keep us updated on his progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasmine1234Iloveyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I'm sure your vet would know best but sometimes black poop is a sign of blood in the upper GI tract. The black color can also mean that the blood has been digested, especially if the poop is shiny or sticky. Did you notice any black substance in the litter box too? Please keep us updated on his progress.
Hello I will keep you updated. I must say his poop is dry! He had a wet stool a few days ago but it was actually a normal color just had worms in it:( hopefully the dewormer will work. He was given 2 different dewormer just incase even though his GI panelcame back negative for everything else (it also came negative for tapeworms even though they are present in the poop) strange I guess you can sometimes get false negatives depending on the life cycle of the worm so he’s getting treated for as many as possible:).