Black poop

Dairymilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

my freshly 1 year old cat seems to have done two black poops over yesterday evening and night in two separate boxes for me to find in the morning. They are not very pretty either butI have not seen what a "tarry" cat poop is so I can't tell if this is one of those or whether he's just having a dark variation.

does anyone have any insight whether I should be calling the vet today or waiting until Monday? He has been on the Katkin food for two days which I imagine is higher in iron than lily's kitchen etc

another thing is that he beeped a few times last night and that's not a sound I ever heard him make so I thought maybe his belly hurts -- but then he played with us fine. So this poop today just got me concerned :(

Attachments

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would email the photos to the vet and then call them and ask them to take a look and consult with them whether to bring your kittie in today or Monday.

Black stools in humans can indicate upper gastrointestinal bleeding - I'm guessing it's the same in animals..but I'm not a vet nore a vet tech

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can also mean a change in food, or getting cow's milk( most cats are lactose intolerant after adulthood). As long as he is eating, and drinking. playing, and not hiding, I would monitor for a few days and see if it changes. Emailing a picture as said above is a good bet, and describing his behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dairymilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry everyone about the late update. After this poop he actually didn't poop for two or three days. The vet figured the new food (katkin) made him constipated and it probably had higher iron than usual hence the poop colour, though not sure. We moved him back to his regular diet and he's back to normal poops :)