Black jowls, cheeks, nose and chin

havindier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Could you please tell me what's wrong with this street kitten? It had black jowls around four weeks ago, and when I saw it a few days ago, it also had black cheeks, nose, and chin.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose it could be lentigo (hyperpigmentation), but that seems to be way too much and must be spreading relatively quickly. Lentigo is considered cat freckles, but I don't know if it is normally that widespread.

I would suggest it is more likely some sort of bacterial infection and should be looked at by a vet and treated. Although the pics aren't close up or very clear, if you have a good rapport with a vet, you might send some pics to them to see what they say. Chances are they will tell you to bring the cat in if you can for a closer look, but maybe they would be willing to treat it as if it were a bacterial infection without actually seeing the cat. Not likely but can't hurt to ask.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also seen this before, and I don't know the cause. Looks like some wetness under the mouth? I would beg my vet to look at the pictures. They should understand that you can't bring the kitten in at this time. Maybe you could offer to pay a nominal fee and your vet would show some empathy and take a look? (One of the vets at my clinic would. The other I do not like and am sure he would say no.)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have stated the pictures are not real clear. Somethings that appear to me via computer is the tongue seems to be hanging out? Does this kitten have a broken jaw? The kitten also appears to be malnourished. If you are able, please seek veterinary assistance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that was even worse, black all over! Found out it was a bacterial infection causing severe congestion and drainage. Once the drainage is exposed to the air the bacteria turns black. That kitten needs help or it may die. It is holding it's mouth open because it can't breathe. It needs an antibiotic ASAP. If you can't catch it or afford a vet, take those pictures in and show them and beg for an antibiotic. Please......

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with CatladyJan CatladyJan , that cat seems to have a broken or dislocated jaw.
In my opinion, that black oaround mouth and chin is his saliva from not being able to keep his mouth completely shut. The drooling sticks to his fur around mouth, chin and nose, attracts bacteria and dust.
That poor kitten needs immediate vet care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

havindier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I tried to check on it from a closer distance, but its mother didn't like it. I need the help of a professional to capture it. These are the new pictures.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please contact a rescue or shelter and ask if they can trap him for you. Many do, but if not, they can usually refer you to people who do the trapping for them. This little guy or gal desperately needs medical attention. Thanks so much for caring!