Black cat Halloween wreath I made

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's hard to see the detail, sorry.  I modeled it after Loki--even though his eyes are yellow, if you look closely, Loki's eyes have gorgeous shading in green and sea blue. The wreath was inspired by a 1920's paper Halloween decoration I saw years ago. It looks much better in person!

The silver thing is just a serving piece that I hung the wreath on to photograph it. Loki's eyes are like the left eye; the light made the other eye look orange!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words!  I didn't make the eyes. I bought them at Jo-Ann Fabrics, but I've seen them at Michaels.  They are called Dragon Eyes, but they are so cat-like! They were a bit of a pain to attach. I had to cut and paint a paint stirrer black. I then attached that behind the wreath as a sort of bridge to glue the eyes to. It sounds easy, but it wasn't! They had to fit perfectly within the inside circle, so no paint stirrer was visible.

The base is a styrofoam wreath form from Dollar Tree. I bought faux fur fabric, cut it into many strips, then wound and overlapped it around the wreath. I made a pattern for his ears, which are felt. The whiskers are pipe cleaners from Dollar Tree. I bent then to make them look as if he was a street cat who'd been in brawls, but was still a dapper gentleman, nonetheless. I bought the top hat form at Jo-Ann's, and added some Halloween ribbon I already had.  I already had the harlequin bow-tie ribbon. You can't see it here, but he has a small spider cravat pin in the center knot--which really is a spider ring I had.

Hot glue gunning that fur was AWFUL! It gets stuck in the glue, and I got burned many times.

I am selling it, but as a donation to benefit my club, who's having a boxed dinner fundraiser. I thought a bake and craft sale would make them money, as people are already coming in to pick up their dinners. I'm doing it all myself. I made a few Halloween crafts, and will do a LOT of baking at the end of this week. I will probably regret that silly idea later...