Black Bump By Whiskers

cleothecat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this black bump, almost like a scab by my cats whiskers yesterday. It's about the size of a human pimple, and fur seems to be growing through it. It doesn't seem to bother her. She has no contact with the outdoors or other animals. I can't get a good picture of it because the fur won't separate but I do have some that may help. It is mostly circular shaped up close. I plan on taking her to the vet later this week but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced these before. Thank you.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It almost looks like just one place, rather a group of spots, correct? So, I would not be quick to assume acne. Is it growing in size? Does it appear to be in any other location around her face? Usually acne will be in more than just one location - and some of the time it can be caused by using plastic bowls/dishes, which have a tendency to absorb/retain dirt/food particles/etc. quicker than glass, metal, or ceramic dishes. So, if you do use plastic, you might want to consider changing out to another type of material.

It could even be something as simple as a mole, or even a wart. Feeby has a couple of warts on her back, and they are circular and scabby feeling also.

I think your best bet is to have a vet take a look at it in person. They will be able to see it up closer for easier identification.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleothecat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It almost looks like just one place, rather a group of spots, correct? So, I would not be quick to assume acne. Is it growing in size? Does it appear to be in any other location around her face? Usually acne will be in more than just one location - and some of the time it can be caused by using plastic bowls/dishes, which have a tendency to absorb/retain dirt/food particles/etc. quicker than glass, metal, or ceramic dishes. So, if you do use plastic, you might want to consider changing out to another type of material.

It could even be something as simple as a mole, or even a wart. Feeby has a couple of warts on her back, and they are circular and scabby feeling also.

I think your best bet is to have a vet take a look at it in person. They will be able to see it up closer for easier identification.
There is only the one bump I just noticed it yesterday but it hasn't appeared to grow since then. However, it obviously grew out of nowhere until it got large enough for me to notice. I currently use metal bowls and just started washing them daily to prevent feline acne. I adopted her about 2.5 months ago and this just popped up out of nowhere, and I can't get her to the vet until Saturday morning leaving me days to worry about what it is. I was thinking maybe a cyst or wart? Just trying to get a heads up for what it could be before I take her, if anyone recognizes the black bump. I've posted another photo from a further distance.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be a cyst, wart, mole. Maybe even a blood blister - like as if she got pinched? Sorry you can't get to the vets before Saturday, but you will have a few days to see if it gets any larger or not - that information will likely be helpful to the vet.

Don't worry too much about it, especially since it doesn't seem to be bothering her. It very well may be something totally harmless.

If anything changes or you just want to talk about it before the vet visit, keep in touch. And, by all means, let us know what the vet says!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleothecat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be a cyst, wart, mole. Maybe even a blood blister - like as if she got pinched? Sorry you can't get to the vets before Saturday, but you will have a few days to see if it gets any larger or not - that information will likely be helpful to the vet.

Don't worry too much about it, especially since it doesn't seem to be bothering her. It very well may be something totally harmless.

If anything changes or you just want to talk about it before the vet visit, keep in touch. And, by all means, let us know what the vet says!!
The clinic closed saturday so I didn't get to take her in. There are some changes in the bump. It fell off, it seemed like it was growing like a scab outwards and eventually came off saturday afternoon. Now she is left with a little hairless spot, dark pink in color. It does not appear to be raised. Anyone recognize this?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, hard to tell by the pic - but, in my personal opinion it doesn't look right. Is it sensitive to her? You could try to use a chamomile tea bag (standard grocery store type, no additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid and then dab it on the spot with a cotton ball. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

I would still make a vet appointment for it, just to be on the safe side.

yy612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The clinic closed saturday so I didn't get to take her in. There are some changes in the bump. It fell off, it seemed like it was growing like a scab outwards and eventually came off saturday afternoon. Now she is left with a little hairless spot, dark pink in color. It does not appear to be raised. Anyone recognize this?
Hi I know this has been a while, but my cat is having the same issue and I found this post while searching the internet. Wondering what did the vet say about scab? Was this anything serious? The scab on my cat's whisker pad kinda just grows and then fells off and reappear again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The OP has not been back since February of 2019, so I don't think that you will get a response.

If you have a scab that continually reappears, I would go to the vet for a check of the skin. If something were healing, the scab would not do that. If it is an allergy or other skin condition, it is not being resolved either.

yy612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The OP has not been back since February of 2019, so I don't think that you will get a response.

If you have a scab that continually reappears, I would go to the vet for a check of the skin. If something were healing, the scab would not do that. If it is an allergy or other skin condition, it is not being resolved either.
Thanks for the suggestion and yeah I've already scheduled a vet visit for him on Wednesday. Just got a bit worked up googling about it and worried it might be something more serious like skin cancer.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing and have a vet appointment. Nothing is going to get worse by Wednesday, so stop Googling. Remember that they always have to point out worse case scenarios to protect themselves from liability. That said, skin cancer is treatable and we certainly don't know that you cat has that.

riverandrowan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I know this has been a while, but my cat is having the same issue and I found this post while searching the internet. Wondering what did the vet say about scab? Was this anything serious? The scab on my cat's whisker pad kinda just grows and then fells off and reappear again.
Every post I've seen talk about this issue of a weird bump on the upper lip hasn't ended up reporting on what it actually was. You're the most recent poster I've seen talk about it, have you figured out what the issue is? My cat has a bump on his upper lip in the same spot.

riverandrowan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this black bump, almost like a scab by my cats whiskers yesterday. It's about the size of a human pimple, and fur seems to be growing through it. It doesn't seem to bother her. She has no contact with the outdoors or other animals. I can't get a good picture of it because the fur won't separate but I do have some that may help. It is mostly circular shaped up close. I plan on taking her to the vet later this week but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced these before. Thank you.
Did you find out what it was?

yy612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every post I've seen talk about this issue of a weird bump on the upper lip hasn't ended up reporting on what it actually was. You're the most recent poster I've seen talk about it, have you figured out what the issue is? My cat has a bump on his upper lip in the same spot.
Oh yeah, I took him to the vet and they said it’s likely just some kind of bacteria/fungus/yeast infection. Nothing serious, proscribed him broad spectrum topical antibiotics, and the scab went away within a week. Hope this will help.