Black Buildup In 1yo Cats Ear

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Since I've had the joy of owning my little girl she has always been plagued by ear issues. She always gets black buildup in her ears. No mites, no infection, just black wax stuff. Now, the last time she went in, July 5th, due to the buildup she did have irritation and a small infection so she was put on Mometamax for 14 days. This cleared it up tremendously, her mood was so much better. A few days after the treatment stopped I saw it was coming back slowly so weekly I've been putting a few drops in and it has kept it at bay with only a small amount a buildup. The vet said it it kept happening it could be food related or something along those lines. Is anyone out there having these issues?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats started having this issue and it was food related. He ate mainly chicken so I switched to foods without chicken and no more ear issues. He was older when this started but apparently he had developed a chicken allergy.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Samson has the same thing. I’ve been treating it with Tresaderm that was prescribed for yeast in another cat’s ears and it has been clearing up. It’s a mystery. Samson does not seem to be bothered by the nasty stuff in his ears, only his mother is :)