Bizarre Episode Today

GMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet cat is 11.5 years old. My hubby & I adopted him about 7 months ago, as he was the sweetest thing I ever saw and wanted to help an older cat find love, peace and safety in the later years of his life. He has some crazy quirky behavior rituals, a funny demeanor and keeps us guessing a lot at what is going on in his gigantic head. He is an orange, long hair tabby/Maine Coone mix (I think), he is about 16-18lbs now, and has paws like a lion. OK, I’ll stop bragging about my gorgeous baby and get to the point! The Humane Society had his vet records from the last people that adopted him- they returned him after 3 days bc he didn’t get along with their other cat. (He is the most anxiety ridden, nervous, scaredy cat EVER… he probably hid the whole time) His bloodwork was great- they said he was in great shape. They said he “groomed a lot”, but that was it. Since we have had him, he has sneezed a lot, and his nose runs but not toooo bad. Then he started throwing up. I assumed it was hairballs… but I don’t think it is?? He walks around throwing up small mouthfuls about 5-6 times… then is fine!? Goes back to eating. THEN, today, he was sitting on the carpet and was in that position like he was hunting… like he was gooing to pounce on a bird or something, all low to the ground on 4 paws… he started making the noise like he was going to vomit but he just stuck his little tongue out a bit, and was rocking back and forth making that noise for about a minute!!?? It was horrible!? My husband thought he was choking- I thought it might be a seizure… but he finally stopped, just sat down normally.. rubbed on me a bit, got up and walked away. He wasn’t distressed or upset or anything. He was totally fine all day after that? Anyone have ANY idea what that could be!?!?

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for rescuing this very handsome guy. :goldstar: From your description it sounds like he's trying to cough up a hairball. This TCS Article may have some helpful information for you:
How To Treat - And Prevent - Hairballs In Cats - TheCatSite Articles

Just out of curiosity, did you take him to your vet for an exam after adopting him? If so, did they feel he had any health issues, e.g. allergies? Depending on his health history it wouldn't hurt to give the vet a call if you don't notice any improvement. Best of luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him the same thing they were feeding him at the shelter? If not, try to get what they were feeding. He could be intolerant of what you're feeding him. Also, he could be so nervous and anxious that he's throwing up. Do you have any Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers running to help him de-stress?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would take him to your own veterinarian for an exam. Many times cats can be stressed and completely hide any illness. Now that he is feeling more secure, he may be showing signs.

If you feed dry food, I would switch to canned, provided he will eat it. You never want a cat to go without eating.

A cat’s normal GI should be able to handle hair. He is extremely furry, so that can cause hair balls that can actually cause an obstruction, especially if dehydrated and mixed with dry food.

When cats have asthma attacks it sounds like they are trying bring up a hair ball.

The sneezing may be an upper respiratory infection, or a flare up off som of a virus.

I would get your beautiful new cat in for an exam with a private vet, hopefully feline only.

Thank you for rescuing this fantastic cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to get back to everyone and answer some questions… he was on a RX Hills ID diet at the Humane Society. We are just not able to afford that on a long term basis, and it was to control the diarrhea he supposedly had at the last owners residence. He has never had any diarrhea or poop issues with us at all, so he has been on a Seafood Friskies Dry Food diet with us and he LOVES it. Literally can’t eat enough. Will eat it non-stop if we let him. We tried canned food for a while but he really wasn’t interested. He’s super weird about food… doesn’t like milk, cream, anything like that. He is SUPER fussy about treats, but is like manically obsessed with Temptations. He goes nuts for them, but I have a feeling they are the thing making him vomit. Either the ingredients are bad for him or it’s bc he practically inhales them whole like an orange fluffy piglet. This boy might eat me soon if I don’t find a better alternative bc I stopped giving them to him and he sits and stares at me for hours like it’s a horror movie.
we DID take him to the vet right away… he got a antibiotic shot “just in case” for the sneezing/runny nose, and it has been the same ever since. It was about $100, so I’m nervous to take him back and have them do more stuff he doesn’t need, that we can’t afford, “just in case”. He hasn’t puked since I stopped the Temptations so I’m hoping we’ve found the solution. He likes Greenies and the Special Kitties Hairball treats so I will try those out I think?
I worry non-stop that I’m doing something wrong or neglecting his care, but he seems fine now and we even call him “Galloping Gilbert” bc of all the zoomies he gets up to up and down the apt. It’s gotta be better than the cage at the pound right!!??

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We tried canned food for a while but he really wasn’t interested. He’s super weird about food… doesn’t like milk, cream, anything like that.
It's not unusual for cats in shelters to get hooked on dry food because dry is cheaper for them to feed. Our present cat wasn't interested in canned food either but since I knew it was better for him I kept trying different brands and flavors until I hit the jackpot. I give him dry food as a snack but not as a main meal. Regarding milk and cream - cats should not have dairy so although you said he doesn't like it I would not recommend offering it or any other dairy product.

I worry non-stop that I’m doing something wrong or neglecting his care, but he seems fine now and we even call him “Galloping Gilbert” bc of all the zoomies he gets up to up and down the apt. It’s gotta be better than the cage at the pound right!!??
I love the name Galloping Gilbert. :goldstar: From the look of the pics you posted it looks like you're great cat parents since he seems super relaxed and has made himself at home. Best of luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about treats. I don't give my kitties treats and I'm still alive. Most treats are really bad for them anyway. I do give them a few regular crunchies as a treat when I feel like it. You could try just one or 2 crunchies for treat time. You could also look into freeze dried chicken or something like that for a treat. My kitties love Bonito flakes, but I have to be careful with those because it does cause one of my girls to puke.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were never interested in treats, which really helped the cat food budget. I have read a lot of reviews and the like about treats and have noticed that where cats adore Temptations, they seem to disagree with many cats. I suspect stopping giving them was a good idea.

Right now your new boy has a lot to adjust to, so the less extra stuff there is the better. This is true when cats and people are adjusting to good things as well as bad. Your boy has a lot of stress to overcome. Once he's absolutely totally positively sure that he's staying with you and that he won't suddenly end up back at the shelter it should help. This can take awhile. Cat time isn't fast. It does sound as though he's happy with you, which would make him a little nervous about losing you. And nervous can affect one's insides.

Brushing and combing, if he'll let you do it should help.

One of my cats would do the hacking thing you described for a couple of days before she actually threw up her hair ball.