Bitten By A Homeless Kitten I Feed Regularly

Raymk23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short I was feeding 1 of the 3 kittens I take care of. I was holding food by its mouth and it bit down a little to hard and I bled a little bit on my middle finger. I don't think it has rabies because it looks the same as it ever has for the past month and a half since I've been feeding it. But I also don't know a lot about rabies.

I don't have medical insurance but I'll still go if I need to go get a shot. I just want to know should I get a shot and what I need to be worried about if it does have something.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's extremely rare for a cat to contract rabies or transmit it to a human. According to Alley Cats International, there hadn't been a single case of a cat infecting a human with rabies in America in 40 years. A rabid raccoon could possibly transmit the disease to a cat, but if a cat has been attacked by a raccoon, the cat would be in bad shape. Your concern should be to clean the wound and watch for signs of infection. Cat bites are basically puncture wounds that are hard to clean. If the bite becomes infected, you'll likely know within 24 hours. It will become red, tender and painful. You would need to go to the doctor for an antibiotic (Augmentin is usually prescribed) and a tetanus shot if you're not up to date on your tetanus. The doctor will ask you if the cat has been vaccinated against rabies. If so, you may just have to fill out a report that gets mailed to the state. If not, they may ask you to quarantine the car for a period of time. Since it's extremely probable that the cat doesn't have rabies, you might just tell them you don't know where the cat is or who it belongs to, and keep an eye on the cat yourself. In some areas Animal Control takes the cat and quarantines it, which is in the majority of cases very stressful to the cat and unnecessary.

Are you caring for these kittens inside your home or outside? If outside, could you bring them into a room in your house to care for them until you find them homes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I know a woman who was bitten by a feral farm cat that couldn't be caught. This is what her doctor told her: if the cat is still around in 10 days, you're fine. If the cat dies or disappears in that time frame, go get a rabies shot.

Infection is the biggest risk. Wash it out really well daily with saline solution, and try to keep it open. Puncture wounds often heal on the surface before healing underneath and that can cause a lot of trouble.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was bitten by a dog once while working dog rescue and my internist said the same thing about letting the wound get air. As for the cat bite, I would watch for infection. I was bitten through the nail bed once by my own then-cat because he was afraid of a dog who came into the house. It was painful and slow to heal, so take care of the bite. In the end I was fine, but have a permanent white line running through that nail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raymk23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply, I took the advice and I washed and cleaned my bite so I should be ok. I'm still taking care of the kittens and I'll only go get antibiotics if my finger starts to hurt, or will that be to late?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was infected, it would be red, tender, swollen and painful. If that hasn't happened by now, you are safe.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Infection would happen pretty quick, the bites that cause the infection
are usually deep bites, when a cat is frightened and in attack mode the bites are very deep. if it's been a couple days already your fine.
where the bite is would get red and you would know if it was infected.
like the others said.